Point Break not exactly..........


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Taunton
August 17th 2005
Published: August 17th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Started off with the mad idea of hitchhiking to Taunton but soon gave that idea up as I looked rather suspicious with my two rucksacks so thought maybe I might have a hard job convincing someone I was friendly. So caught the train down down to Taunton to see "Mad Mike Phillips" Jackee "Queen of Taunton Deane" Phillips they are two of the most friendly, welcoming and generous people I have met in a very long time. Nothing is a hassle and what scrumpy is theres is yours also!.

So after a couple days at what should be a reality tv household we headed down to Croyde Bay and Saunton Sands for a weekend of learning to surf.

It was a nice little drive down there with a critical stop at a Tesco for refreshments for the weekend, We arrived in Croyde Bay and ended up at the Surfers Paradise campsite where we pitched up and relexed with a well earned beer.

The first day of surfing was upon us and we were excited so we rocked up looking like Team Billabong met the instuctors who were your typical surf dudes.

The first session was pretty intense as nearly everyone had not surfed before and we were practising "pops" on the beach first then it was time to hit the water.

The weather I should tell you was rain and hail but we did not care it was warmish and you were wet anyway so never mind. Now as anything it is alot harder than it looks we managed to catch some waves but standing up was still becoming a bit of a challenge.

Well the morning over and the afternoon was here already time to get some pictures I thought so we had to get our standing up on the board better whoo hoo we have photos as we managed to catch waves and ride them what a great feeling the rush when the wave hits your board and then as you stand the feeling of riding the wave!!!!

Well after the Saturday session we had Sunday morning which was a better day with some sunshine and some big waves that were difficult to get out over sometimes flipping you underwater great fun........us against mother nature.

Headed back to Taunton Sunday afternoon and we were beat big time. Jackee was preparing dinner for the 5000 and only the 5 of us had to eat it I have never eaten a roast dinner so big but was it fantastic.

We then were subjected to the most corrupt game of Monopoly I have ever played!

I want to say a big thanks to Mike and Jackee for all there hospitality and for being so friendly and just down to earth genuine people. Charlotte is much the same a great person who shares her Mum and Dad's great nature and madness!!



Thanks again and speak to you soon


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



17th September 2005

Surfing
Bruce and I were so bad, Charlie is a natural, amazing infact

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb