Time for a bath!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
October 30th 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bridge over River AvonBridge over River AvonBridge over River Avon

This is the bridge with the shops on it. The shops are no more than a metre deep.
Well, no more pommie washes (I'm told thats extremely offensive and Aussies should no longer call the brits poms, let alone stinky ones....oh well, they should know by now that us Aussies use insults as a sign of endearment!) So last weekend we headed off to the town of Bath, a couple of hours north of London.
For those of you interested in a bit of history, Bath is a world heritage listed town, and is built in the mouth of an extinct volcano, which is why it has 'hot springs' under the city!
The original roman baths still exist and have done so since AD 943. Its also built on the river Avon, and has the only other bridge in the world (apart from in Florence) that has shops built on either side of the bridge.
So anyway, thats probably enough of a history lesson for today.
Basically, we caught the bus there, strolled around the city all day, had a nice pub lunch then caught the bus home late afternoon.
Its a gorgeous city, well worth a visit, but like most touristy spots in the world, is usually crowded. The skies turned on a bit of Melbourne weather, with
Nice and Green!Nice and Green!Nice and Green!

The park on the edge of the river
a mixture of sunshine and showers, but overall it was a nice day.
Rather pathetically, I cant think of anything else to write about the day, so you'll just have to squiz at the photos.
This thursday night we're finally off to Ireland (never gonna book tickets that far in advance ever again....way too long to wait) and not flying back til monday night, with the footy match on sunday arvo. We're both really looking forward to it, ooh, that reminds me, gotta get as much green and gold gear as humanly possible prior to thursday (urgh, why must we be those colours....not at all flattering) so next week you can look forward to that blog....I can see you grinning with excitement already!! :-)
Til then, dont work too hard......we wont be!

Darn, having problems loading the photos.......stay tuned!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Poser!Poser!
Poser!

Those pointy bits in the background are the spires of the Bath Abbey (cathedral)....The pointy bits in the foreground belong to micks crazy hair!
The Bath AbbeyThe Bath Abbey
The Bath Abbey

Not a bad looking cathedral...perhaps gives Bendigo's a run for its money???
The Town SquareThe Town Square
The Town Square

Thats the roman baths on one side and the abbey on the other, and a few hundred tourists in between!
The famous bridgeThe famous bridge
The famous bridge

This photo was taken from on the bridge, but cos of the shops, you cant actually tell you're on a bridge, clear as mud??
Another poserAnother poser
Another poser

The bridge again.......
Another poserAnother poser
Another poser

Micky pigging into some peanut brittle (couldnt keep him out of all the candy shops) in front of Baths oldest building! If you can read the blue circle thingy, it will tell you how old.
The bridge againThe bridge again
The bridge again

Another view of the bridge, and the houses behind it. The whole town is made from the same stone!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb