From Glastonbury to Bath.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
June 22nd 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Morris dancing 176 secs
Glastonbury Abbey.Glastonbury Abbey.Glastonbury Abbey.

The ruins of the Lady Chapel as you entered the grounds.
We started the morning visiting Glastonbury Abbey. Although it is just ruins, you can really imagine what it might have been like in its time. It was a serene place. We then travelled to Wells. We saw the Cathedral there with its beautiful façade and its amazingly famous scissor arches. The Bishop’s Palace was equally impressive and the wells that the city is named after, which apparently produce approximately 1,000 litres per minute. The gardens of the palace were so stunning and so English that it wasn’t funny. We then drove on to Bath and visited the famous Roman Baths and Bath Abbey. In the evening, we went for dinner and on the way back to the motel, we saw some Morris dancing. It had to be seen to be believed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

King Arthur's grave.King Arthur's grave.
King Arthur's grave.

The supposed grave inside the Abbey where the monks placed the remains of Arthur and Guinevere after finding them in the Abbey grounds.
Well's Cathedral.Well's Cathedral.
Well's Cathedral.

The facade of the cathedral as seen from the cathedral grounds.
The scissor arches.The scissor arches.
The scissor arches.

One of the four scissor arches built to suppoet the tower and prevent it from sinking.
Garden of the Bishop's Palace.Garden of the Bishop's Palace.
Garden of the Bishop's Palace.

A view of the garden and one of the wells that the city is named after.
The Roman Baths.The Roman Baths.
The Roman Baths.

The main pool of the ancient Roman baths. Anyone for a plunge?
Bath Abbey.Bath Abbey.
Bath Abbey.

A view of the outside.
Fan vaulting.Fan vaulting.
Fan vaulting.

The ceiling inside the Abbey.
Morris dancing.Morris dancing.
Morris dancing.

Has to be seen to be believed. Watch the video. It speaks for itself.


Tot: 0.416s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb