Oxford to Bath for Papas Rellenas


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
August 13th 2006
Published: November 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Oxford, the Cotswolds, Bristol, Bath and Stonehenge


StonehengeStonehengeStonehenge

A meeting place for Druids... apparently
Ed:

Well, after their European adventure, my parents and Sarah returned to London to cook up a Peruvian feast for us (my mother was appalled to find all we kept in our fridge was a half empty bottle of wine and some sour milk!). But despite all the fabulous eating, we managed to drag ourselves out of the flat long enough to show them some of the sights in and around London. However, after travelling through France, Spain, Italy, Austria, the Czech Republic and Holland, it was going to take something pretty special to impress them.

So, having well and truly recovered from our Spain adventure (and giving Chris enough time to sober up after Brighton), we figured it was time to hit the road again and we took to Oxford, the Cotswolds and Bath.

Oxford is beautiful as always and Matt took the chance to show off his punting skills, which looked all the more impressive after Christopher gave it a go (sorry Chris!). Despite crashing into some Spaniard (honestly, not on purpose!) and discovering my screeching mother has a deep phobia of the water, it was lots of fun.

The rest of the time we spent walking around the colleges and university grounds and admiring the beautiful scenery.

We then moved onto the Cotswolds and headed straight to our favourite villages, Upper and Lower Slaughter. With their manicured gardens, cosy homesteads, bubbling brooks and stone bridges, both villages never fails to disappoint. Mum and dad, like everyone else that stops there, could only talk about how they would love to retire to such a peaceful spot. I couldn’t agree more!

That night we spent a night at the not-so-luxurious Premier Travel Inn at Bristol. I'm not sure why we ended up there but I don’t think any of us will be going back there anytime soon! It was fun though to sneak Christopher in posing as a 12 year old in order to keep the costs down (don't even ask how we managed to do that!).

The following morning and battling the falling temperature, we drove further south and ended up in Bath. I think it loses some of its charm with the droves of tourists that are always there, but it still managed to impress with the Crescent and Circus, Georgian Terraces and of course the Roman Baths.

On the
Radcliffe CameraRadcliffe CameraRadcliffe Camera

Quintessential Oxford!
way home, we drove past Stonehenge (is it always freezing there?) and thankfully got home at a reasonable time for mum to cook another delicious Peruvian meal of papas rellenas! Yum!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

OxfordOxford
Oxford

View fom St Mary the Virgin Church
OxfordOxford
Oxford

View fom St Mary the Virgin Church
PuntingPunting
Punting

Mum: I'm fine, really. Just stop rocking the boat!!!
Chris PuntingChris Punting
Chris Punting

The faithful apprentice (just don't take any photographic evidence or he will unleash his wrath)
PuntingPunting
Punting

The Master at work
PuntingPunting
Punting

Crushing into unsuspecting Spaniards
PuntingPunting
Punting

Dad keeping other boats at bay...
Lower SlaughterLower Slaughter
Lower Slaughter

Love those water wheels
Lower SlaughterLower Slaughter
Lower Slaughter

Their version of garden gnomes
BathBath
Bath

The Crescent
BathBath
Bath

The hot baths at Bath
StonehengeStonehenge
Stonehenge

Chris braves the weather at Stonehenge


22nd November 2006

Perfect Punting
Oh the memory, this did bring back such memories of Matthew punting whilst I sat like Queen of the Crisps eating my Horseradish Crisps with 50 ducks following. Oh well all good things must come to an end..............................
23rd November 2006

More like our scene
Ed This is trip sounds a little more like our style (no mix up with passports etc). EASY to see Matt has seafaring skills in his blood,Glad you all appear to have also enjoyed the slower pace. See you soon Love N/G.
23rd November 2006

Great trip around UK!
once again you both have done a great job of making someone feel realaxed and peacful for their last journy around europe!. love you both and thanks for the great trip..MUM! xoxox
24th November 2006

Will your mum cook for me!??!
Your mum does look pretty scared on that boat hey!!?? You guys are so funny and you've made me hungry after reading that! A month to go!! Can't wait to see you!

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0951s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb