Day 45 - to Market Drayton - finally in Shropshire, despite the canal name.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire
June 30th 2013
Published: June 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 45 - to Market Drayton


5 locks, 253 in total







What a cold start to the day although by the afternoon it was beautifully hot. We were in open countryside initially and the began the longish section through Woodseaves Cutting. This is so narrow in places that there really is only room for one – not that I would have wanted to hand-chip all that sandstone more than was necessary. We finally emerged to the top of the Tyrley Flight of 5 locks and immediately we picked up a helper – don't know if he was an official volunteer (he wasn't wearing the regulation life jacket!) but he was so efficient that we almost felt cheated of the experience at these locks. I did wonder about suggesting he helped us in a couple of days time when we'll have 20 to do.







Half a mile later and we were moored at Market Drayton and ready to spend a couple of days with my aunt and uncle. My aunt was born here and she told me that the canal area was definitely the 'wrong side of town' many years ago – how things have changed. Now there are marinas, boatyards and new, expensive canalside housing.







No blog for Sunday 30th June – be back on Monday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

LandslipLandslip
Landslip

There's netting holding it all in place.
This bridge shows the depth of the cutting....This bridge shows the depth of the cutting....
This bridge shows the depth of the cutting....

... and the magnitude of the task - 1.5 miles long.


30th June 2013

cutting
Your pictures show so well the mammoth task of the cutting - and the bridge and area is so neat and picturesque. Like the "tent" at the bow of Dunlin shown on the Tyrley lock picture. Enjoy your day. sarah

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb