UK Adventure


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire » Shrewsbury
June 10th 2017
Published: June 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hi travel lovers.

Here are our latest adventures from the UK.

We have completed our second UK house sit at Itchen Abbas (near Winchester - Hampshire) and it was absolutely lovely with just two lovely cats & 5 chickens to care for. Free eggs. We did a little exploring of the local area towns like Wickham and Bishop's Waltham with it's Bishop's Palace. It happened to be the Alresford "Watercress Festival" (3 mile up the road) so we drove over to Ropley and caught the steam train into Alresford and had a few hours enjoying the local fare before heading back on the steam train to pick up our car. Apparently Alresford is the Watercress capitol of the UK because of its chalk beds and crystal clear water.

The weather has been spectacular so we were doing a lot of walks around the local towns. It was just beautiful at Itchen Abbas caring for our two cats Daisy MO and Barlow, plus the 5 chickens who are supplying us with fresh eggs daily.

We then moved on to our next home sit in Shrewsbury, Shropshire caring for a lovely Cockapoo dog. Shrewsbury is an old Medieval town on the border of England and Wales. The architecture is just stunning. So many old and beautiful streets and buildings.

Again it was great weather at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK so we decided to do the rounds of just "some" of the local Medieval Castles, Abbey's, Churches and other attractions. All these within roughly 30kms to the South East. What an experience chatting with the local people. Places visited included Wroxeter Roman City, Buildwas Abbey, Iron Bridge (opened in 1781), Wenlock Priory and township, Acton Burnell Castle & Church and last but not least the local church and cemetery near where we are staying. Oscar the Cockapoo is also an absolute lovely dog to care for. See photo of him enjoying a belly rub.

Because we were house sitting so close to the Welsh border we decided to re-visit a couple of extraordinary places previously visited in 2010. Llangollen, with it's Canal Boats (took a ride on the Horse Drawn one) it's steam train and the Pontcycyllte Aquaduct which was completed in 1805 and is now the oldest and longest navigable aqueduct in Great Britain and the highest in the world. Just beautiful!!

Hope you like the photo's.


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wier at Itchen Abbas.Wier at Itchen Abbas.
Wier at Itchen Abbas.

We could see trout swimming above the weir


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 105; dbt: 0.1284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb