Sudeley Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire » Shrewsbury
September 17th 2016
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.7101, -2.75208

We decided to go to Sudeley Castle, near Winchombe. The family that owns it still lives there. We drove to Winchcombe and headed toward the road to the castle. The road was closed and traffic was diverted. We couldn't find the road to the castle, so we looked at our atlas and found another way to get there on a single track road. Just before we got to a turnoff there was a fallen tree blocking the road. We had to turn around on the single track road and find another way. We ended up on another single track road and made several turns onto other roads. We were lost! We stopped at a road construction site and asked the man if he knew where the castle was. He said go another half mile and you will be there. Hooray!! We toured the castle, church and gardens. By the time we were done, it was time to head back home. The GPS got us back home. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant next door. This morning, we headed toward our next destination. They were having a Saturday market on the road we wanted to take and the sign said that there would be major delays. We found another route, that was faster but longer. We got lost a couple of times and finally got to where we wanted to go. But, the area had closed roads and tons of congestion, so we decided to just go to our next hotel instead. We couldn't find the hotel because the GPS didn't recognize the address. So we looked for a laundry to do a load. Luckily we stopped about a block from the laundry to decide where to go. While we were there a nice lady gave us instructions on how to get to our hotel. See, people are still better than a GPS. We drove to the hotel and checked in. We had a drink in the bar and unpacked the car. We had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel. It was very good. Tomorrow, we drive to Wigan, which is where my grand parents were born and their parents and their parents. I have the addresses where they were living when they were born and the graveyard where my great and great great grandparents are buried. I am looking forward to seeing this town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

A single track road.A single track road.
A single track road.

So, a car is coming down the road towards us. They are in the center of the road. I move over as far as I can. Do you think that they would move over too? No, they continue down the center of the road. I not sure how we don't touch mirrors. I just close my eyes and drive on. Stacy screams oh my God!!!
Us at the castle gardensUs at the castle gardens
Us at the castle gardens

Taken by a nice couple from Missouri
Stacy calls this the Jack the Ripper AlleyStacy calls this the Jack the Ripper Alley
Stacy calls this the Jack the Ripper Alley

We went into this alley to go to our room in Stow-on-the-Wold


18th September 2016

Wow, sounds like you had a couple of episodes from a "Get Smart" movie! Thank goodness you don't have to worry too much about the language barriers. Driving would be a challenge for me. You must be doing ok! Have fun.
18th September 2016

Can you fit through this door? Or do you have to use the loo outside?

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb