MORE FROM ELLESMERE & THE MANCHESTER 7's


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire » Ellesmere
May 21st 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

I had nearly forgotten how fantastic Big School at Ellesmere is. It is the original school building and still has the stunning high wooden ceilings and stained glass windows in the end wall. It is also home to one of only six Shultz organs in the UK; the organ that is traditionally played at the Leavers’ Ball at the end of the Summer Term along with concerts throughout the year. Over the past few years the school has installed many of the Games and House boards from around the school to centralise that part of school life. You can now sit there and read the names of past Headmasters, Cricket and Rugby Captains, Captains of School and Colour recipients. Around the top of the walls are the Shooting teams dating back to early last century. It serves two purposes in allowing Old Ellesmerians to see their names on the boards and provides ample reading material for any concert goers who may just be caught in a little daydream halfway through an orchestral movement. Sometimes I can find myself in the latter group.



Many years ago pupils of the College would throw darts at the ceiling with the objective of seeing who could get one stuck in the roof. A few managed the feat but few of the darts remain as gravity has sent them back to the floor. I could still make one out but you really need to know what you are looking for as they are not large. I am sure that today ‘elf n safety has put paid to anything like that. There were also numerous balloons from a past event that had escaped and were now on the ceiling. Those could be there for a while!



The reason for being back in this glorious building was to watch and listen to a concert. The concert involved the Lower School Choir, the Senior School Choir and the Ellesmere Choral Society for the singing and an ensemble of musicians playing orchestral pieces from the Classical to Musicals and a touch of Rock. It was a fantastic occasion and I am pleased we went – in fact I am not sure I have been to this type of evening since we left the College so it was a bit like old times. We surprised a few people by being there and it was a good chance to catch up over a wine. They waived the entrance fee and instead made their money on the drinks. It seemed to be working. I was most impressed with the professional style in which the night was put on and the standard of the singing and playing was high. Paul and I used it as a great entrée before heading into the CR Bar to catch up with more familiar faces – although we seemed to lose Colin in the logistics and planning.



Narelle had been invited to a ‘girly night’ at Shan’s so she flagged the second-half of the concert and went in search of dinner and fizz with Benedicte; by the time Paul, Jonny and I joined them later they were in high spirits, which we may have just added to. All I know is that most of the group were a tad hung over the next day – I certainly had two slow movers in the car heading to Manchester and Narelle met her group at nine in the café; the 3am finish caught a few out.



I went off to Manchester with Paul, Jonny and Benedicte to watch William play in a 7s tournament. We had a great day with no rain but it was bitterly cold. The actual tournament was spread over two days so we bought weekend passes but then found out that Will’s bit would be over on the first day – oh well no worries; should have read the instructions. The 7s festival included a Men’s Open, Women’s Open, Lacrosse and a fancy dress section – the best was a stag do who had chained their groom to a weight and he had to take it everywhere. I never saw him without a beer in hand and he was pretty messy by the end of the day. We introduced ourselves to RWC 2003 Winner Jason Robinson who was there selling his clothing line. He was so receptive and nice to speak to. We also had the customary photo with him; he is quite short but what a player he was and he will always be the player who scored the try in England’s RWC victory over Australia.



Obviously our reason for going was to watch Will. His team was made up Old Ellesmerians from last year’s Ellesmere 7’s side who had won a few tournaments while at school. They played really well in what was a step up for them amongst mainly club players and although beaten in the semi-final of the Open had the distinction of going out to the eventual winners. For many this was their first taste at this level of rugby so I am sure it will be beneficial come the next tournament. Will was great – he is a fast and elusive runner with exceptional handling skills and he scored some very good tries. He may have to work on his kicking for goal as he missed two shockers! I had not seen him play since he was about eight so it was really good to see him enjoying it. He is also a ferocious defender and did not shy away from anything – he has his Dad’s desire to win too, which will hold him in good stead. During the afternoon break we got to watch a Bill Beaumont Cup semi-final between Cheshire and Lancashire, which was made all the better by meeting BB just before kick-off. He went to Ellesmere College as a boy long before he was a British Lion or Grand Slam winning England Captain.



The other nice part of the afternoon was meeting Celine again. She wanted to come and watch William so tore herself away from her books and study. She has four weeks to go at Loughborough with her degree and then she will be out in the real world. I think she is ready for it. She is a delightful young woman who has a real zest for life and a comfortable manner amongst those she meets; it was so nice to see her. My respect for her went up hugely when she told Paul that he needed to dress as trendily as I did – you go girl! Hopefully once Uni is over we will catch up with her again – I think we may have to buy her a drink!



I said in an earlier blog that meeting up with people would be the major focus for this part of the trip. Well that idea has certainly come to fruition. We are catching up with lots of people who we worked with back in the 90s and early 2000s. There are still lots of people at the College including many of the domestic staff – Keith the caterer is still there. I went and saw him in his office and reminisced about my Friday morning meetings when I would show up in his office for a chat and to eat flapjack. Keith the mathematician has retired but is as busy as ever. He looked really well and it is obvious that a diet of cricket umpiring, bridge playing and numerous trips is working. How he still finds time to tutor A Level examination students is beyond me. I think we may see KJS in Melbourne one day – he wants to do a Boxing Day test. Keith has already signed us up for dinner in late June after our cruise.



The hospitality just rolls on and on; any day now I may also be rolling on and on. Thankfully this area has great walks up and down the canal paths and around the local Meres so not all the extra calories are taking their toll. On our walk to Colemere we found a bric-a-brac sale for the Greyhound Rescue Dogs – DWR is now the proud owner of two quite old pictures of the Queen and Duke – bought for the amazing price of £1.99. They will be great for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations and as I don’t think I know more of a royalist than DWR they have found the perfect home. As for the greyhounds? – well based on DWR’s donation they will not be being rescued in the foreseeable future.



We have been staying with David for the past few days and we have been on a tour of his school near Oswestry. It was a return to school lunches and the dining room queue. We met Isobel Parry and Ann Simpson there. We have had dinner parties at David’s and also with Debbie and Louise. Both of them have new homes and have also just finished major renovations. With the weather changing we were able to sit out in the garden at Debbie’s and have a few drinks, which made for a nice change.



I cannot see the fantastic hospitality ending anytime soon – David hosted a second dinner party with the Boswells and the Moreton Gap students. We are off to Philip and Pat’s tomorrow in what realistically is the first preparation meeting for the Burgundy trip later in the year. I am starting to think that we may need a lie down on the Baltic cruise!!



This week we finally get to Al and Kate’s, which we are really looking forward to. It will be Al’s 40th while we are there so we are looking forward to sharing in that. I will obviously have to put my body through more torture in the name of friendship – thankfully I am willing to give it a go.



The weather forecasters are also promising a ‘heat wave’ – already the temperatures are going up and as we drove through Shropshire earlier we got our first glimpse of a proper English summer day. They are hard to beat so here’s hoping they have got it right.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



25th May 2012

thank you
Thanks for sharing your travels with your friends in NZ

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb