Day 22 - to Thrupp


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire
June 6th 2013
Published: June 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 22 - Thrupp


A narrow lockA narrow lockA narrow lock

A tight fit.
4 locks, total 102.







A very different day's cruising in that many of the little mishaps that could happen actually did.





Single-handed on the boat when I realised I had put the kettle on – the whistling grew in intensity and all I could do was go past all the moored boats to the lift bridge mooring when....

Fouled propeller number 1 – piece of an industrial quality fertiliser bag. Loss of steerage and power slowed me down considerably.

A little later - fouled prop number 2 – fishing line.

Jammed lock gate – couldn't completely open it and as these are narrow locks there just isn't room to manoeuvre round it. Had to call for help after we'd failed to whoosh through the obstruction. The Waterways chap came with 20 minutes of my phone call, which is pretty good going. He had an extendable 15' rake which scooped up loads of twigs and larger bits and soon the gate was clear.

A new one for us – moored and down below having lunch when we heard an approaching engine sounding very laboured – actually
Oxford Canal lift bridgeOxford Canal lift bridgeOxford Canal lift bridge

You unlock it and the bridge swings upwards with the balance beams.
he was just going at warp speed and passing unnecessarily close to us. We lurched backwards, then forwards in the wash and we waited for the boat to settle. Then John and I realised at the same time that we were still going forwards. He ran out the bow door, I headed for the stern, in time to see the speed merchant disappearing from view yelling 'You're adrift!”. Well thank you, we are now! Both stakes had been pulled clean out of the ground and were now in the canal, along with all our mooring lines.






But things don't always go smoothly on an old and creaking canal network that has more boats using it now than was ever envisaged. It has been hot and sunny since 11am, the scenery has been great and we have a sunny mooring for the evening at Thrupp – we're happy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Open bridgeOpen bridge
Open bridge

Note the chain hanging down - you haul on that to lower the bridge.
Idiot!Idiot!
Idiot!

Got stuck across the canal rather than mooring whilst the bridge was lifted! And that's not us, just in case the colour confused you.
The jammed lockThe jammed lock
The jammed lock

The brickwork wasn't great either.
Not much ...Not much ...
Not much ...

...but enough to stop the gate opening.
Freshwater mussel was raked out too....Freshwater mussel was raked out too....
Freshwater mussel was raked out too....

... I released it beyond the lock!
Signpost at ThruppSignpost at Thrupp
Signpost at Thrupp

It's for walkers more than boaters. Blank sign should read 'Oxford'.
Thrupp lift bridge....Thrupp lift bridge....
Thrupp lift bridge....

.... it's huge and mechanically operated rather than by chain, thank goodness.


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb