Our Oxford Odyssey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
April 4th 2012
Published: April 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Keble CollegeKeble CollegeKeble College

This is the chapel for Keble College. Pronounced "Cable". It reminded us somehow of the "Corn Palace" in South Dakota.
Another full day. Chrissy didn't feel like going out and walking today, so Jim and I ( sometimes with Louis) did our personal best on walking with 22,600 steps, which is about 11 miles. I have to admit that after dinner, my legs didn't want to climb the stairs up to our room. We went to the University Park where Louis is determined to unearth a mole. They also have the Cricket grounds here. Then, we returned Louis home and met Glenn at his work, walked up to the college he is affliated with and had lunch in the dining hall with him. We walked to The Voltaire Foundation where Nooni works and was amazed by what they are doing. We went home then and took a nap. It rained until we went to dinner at a Chinese restaurant. The weather has changed and we may do inside things today like the Bodleian Library and the Ashmolean Museum. Tell you about that tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Glenn's OfficeGlenn's Office
Glenn's Office

Directly across from Keble College
Glenn at workGlenn at work
Glenn at work

Glenn pretending to be working already.
At the parkAt the park
At the park

The Spring trees are beautiful
Great TreeGreat Tree
Great Tree

I loved the way this evergreen reached all the way to the ground.
Louis and the mole holesLouis and the mole holes
Louis and the mole holes

Louis, trying to catch a mole or two. He is quite determined and is very unhappy when its time to leave.
A bridge across the CherwellA bridge across the Cherwell
A bridge across the Cherwell

This is part of the Cherwell River which runs along Glenn's college
The Cricket ClubThe Cricket Club
The Cricket Club

The groundsmen were working hard to get the cricket grounds just right with big rollers to smooth the grass after cutting.
Lady Margaret CollegeLady Margaret College
Lady Margaret College

This one is used quite often on PBS Mystery with Inspector Morse and Lewis.
North OxfordNorth Oxford
North Oxford

This house probably sold for well over a million pounds and now they are refurbishing it.
The Dragon SchoolThe Dragon School
The Dragon School

A very exclusive private school for children from primary through secondary.
Wolfson CollegeWolfson College
Wolfson College

Glenn is a "Fellow" here at Wolfson College. The most modern and ugliest of the colleges yet. It is for graduate students only.
Cherwell RiverCherwell River
Cherwell River

The grounds are beautiful with little boats you can go "punting" in.
The dining hallThe dining hall
The dining hall

Not many for lunch since it is Spring Break
My lunchMy lunch
My lunch

Glenn and I had chicken breast with white sauce and zucchini and potatoes.
Jim's lunchJim's lunch
Jim's lunch

Jim had ham (gammon), an egg and chips for lunch. Glenn gets a free lunch everyday as part of his pay.
The Common RoomThe Common Room
The Common Room

Where the Fellows go after lunch for tea or coffee. They have all today's newspapers to read. Glenn read "Le Monde" in French. Jim read an English one.
For SaleFor Sale
For Sale

Most of the houses for sale are on leasehold land. So, the house is yours, but you have a 99 year lease or something on the land.
North OxfordNorth Oxford
North Oxford

This is the really "posh" section of town. Most of these owners commute each day to London for work.
St. Andrews ChurchSt. Andrews Church
St. Andrews Church

A bit too modern for us, but they seemed to have a lot of programs offered to their congregation, including training chaplains for the coming Olympics.
The Voltaire FoundationThe Voltaire Foundation
The Voltaire Foundation

This is where Nooni works and Glenn is a consultant to them.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb