A Farm in Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
March 26th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Howdy y'allHowdy y'allHowdy y'all

Welcome to the farm. I'm Saler (breed) from France. Remember to dip your feet and kill all those city germs! Breathe the fresh air and run if you see advancing water - we are in the river Thames' flood zone. Not only that but the river is just a few hundred yards away from me and every year we are flooded for longer periods of time!
I hitched a ride with work's web team to Oxford to check out this farm. Caution! This farm is not your average farm, this is the exception, not the rule. Someday I will post the rule so you can see the difference and judge for yourself. This farm is a working educational farm associated with Oxford University, McDonald's and Tescos (a large supermarket in the UK). They are organic and critter friendly. As an educational farm they work to make a profit, but are currently not making money. A primary reason for this is much of the things they need (corn, fencing equipment) cannot be readily purchased as China is buying it for their mind blogging expansion of protein production. Happily I can report that China is interested in establishing a model farm based on this model for education of their producers.

I got a good question asking why is it cool that pigs have a big pile of hay/straw, or for that matter anything other than food and water!

So here goes: With a big barrier like straw, they don't have to see each other or be near each other and thus they don't fight so much. Also
Silos filled with feed and a houseSilos filled with feed and a houseSilos filled with feed and a house

Prices of organic feed have just about doubled.
adds dimensional complexity to the pen. Sort of the same thing as a child living in a bare room with a blanket (the bedding), now add a toy truck. Life just got a bit better. Reducing the boredom and such reduces the behavior of tail biting, and fighting. When pigs are kept in a more enriching environment, the need to cut off their tails and clip off the pointy bits of their teeth is eliminated. You'll notice these little guys all have their tails!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Deep rut in pasturesDeep rut in pastures
Deep rut in pastures

Flooding, constant rain and heavy machinary don't mix.
Dead chicksDead chicks
Dead chicks

This really doesn't need much explaination. Though, the imagery of putting straight chicks in a bag is really just too much! Some words have so many different meanings. Straight, straight, or straight away? Their percentage of dead is far below industry standards. I think the fly is a nice touch.
Chicks on their way to youChicks on their way to you
Chicks on their way to you

The farm plays sounds recorded from the farm to acclimate the chicks to sounds they may experience: trackers, airplanes, mass groups of school kids stopping by to see a cow, etc. These guys get so many visitors that they don't all run away when groups enter the building.
Electric fenceElectric fence
Electric fence

Not sure if this fence is to manage the critters or the encroaching urbanites that want to live in the country and then complain that it smells and roosters can't tell time. The plastic on the ground is to keep the rapidly growing grass from shorting out the circuit. Always hold on to another person before you grab an electric fence! And no worries farmers always turn off the fence when outsiders are visiting. :0
Pigs in a pen Pigs in a pen
Pigs in a pen

The amazing thing about this is that the pigs have LOTS of bedding, a visual/physical barrier and running room. Run pig run!
Love Birds, LiterallyLove Birds, Literally
Love Birds, Literally

After the farm tour we all went to the local pub, before heading back to London. Yep, no doubt about it, I'm in the UK!
Plea from Pork producersPlea from Pork producers
Plea from Pork producers

Saw this ad in the underground on my way home from the day on the farm.


28th March 2008

Good idea!!
Finally found this. Good work!! Keep it up!!
28th March 2008

Wow - nice blog!
Very nice red cow.
28th March 2008

Oooh, I wanna be a farmer in Oxford
Grand blog, Jen. Thanks for putting this up. I just love the first cow shot - so animated. -m.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb