Let Us Cram Our Heads Full of Good Things


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
September 4th 2007
Published: September 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Briefly caught up with a couple of the housemates before walking back into town. Dr. Ron Cole-Turner spoke on Potential Persons and Other Oddities, it was such an amazing talk! He was describing the details of "stem cell research" and how that term actually means different things depending on where the debate is being held. He went into the possible implications for morality, human dignity, really did a good job at outlining the debate and contributing to some constructive dialogue.

Then, Dr. Nancey Murphy spoke on Nonreductive Physicalism, Divine Action, and Striving to Know the Will of God. While I didn't necessarily agree with all of her points and speculations, it really got me thinking again about the Holy Spirit's guidance and the ways, mechanisms through which He has chosen to speak to me in the past.

One central hypothesis which many of the speakers have based their research upon is that God will never operate outside of the natural laws and mechanisms which he has created. I think that they are trying to frame their research in such a way that God and His actions are understandable, quantifiable. I don't think I totally buy it, though. Often God does choose to work through people and through the creation which he has produced, but I also believe that God is continually working in and through His creation in ways we may not completely understand, appreciate, or rationally "get". While it is true that certain branches of science give us the latitude to include God in the natural processes of biology and influence (quantum mech, statistics), I do not yet buy that these are the only vehicles through which God would choose to influence His creation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb