Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saxon Tower of St MichaelSaxon Tower of St MichaelSaxon Tower of St Michael

Oxford's oldest building
Oxford is mainly a university town with 39 colleges making up the University of Oxford. It is known as the "city of dreaming spires" due to the beautiful architechture of the university buildings.

The University of Oxford is the oldest university in english speaking language and has had many famous scholars in the past. The likes of Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland), T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia), C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia), J.R.R. Tolkein (Lord of the Rings) and a number of famous international political figures (including Bob Hawke) have all studied there.

I visited many of the beautiful colleges whilst in Oxford with Christ Church College being my favourite. This college is where much of the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland comes from (apparently Lewis Carrol befriended the daughter of the Dean of Christ Church - Alice, and many of the characters in the books were inspired by Christ Church people). Many of the scenes for the first two Harry Potter movies were also filmed at Christ Church.

I also visited the Saxon Tower, Oxfords oldest building, built during the Saxon period in about 1040 and the Eagle and Child pub where the likes of Lewis and Tolkein used to go to each week to drink beer and discuss their books.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about Oxford (I am such a tourist) and seeing all of the beautiful buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Hertford CollegeHertford College
Hertford College

Oxford's attempt of the Bridge of Sighs
The Eagle and ChildThe Eagle and Child
The Eagle and Child

Also known as the Bird and Baby
Famous AuthorsFamous Authors
Famous Authors

Met at the Eagle and Child each week


18th July 2007

Those authors did some drinking in the pub - but did you??

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb