RAF visit complete


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
January 18th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It has been a busy four days at RAF Lyneham. I am part of a Canadian military contingent conducting an assessement into the RAF C130 Hercules operation at RAF Lyneham. We are here to determine if the RAFwho are flying the new Hercules, called the Super Hercules (J-model variant) have the proper training equipment and methodology to produce tactical aircrews (we are also checking out the same on the maintenance side). We've called the mission a Training Needs Analysis.
We have been here once before looking at the RAF schoolhouse under a Search And Rescue mandate. That project was supposedly on a fast track until the politicians stalled it - political hot potato apparently (read as unacceptable risk for a minority government). The entire project staff was then assigned to the Hercules replacemnet project and we've been there for the last 6 months. I have over 2500 hrs on the Hercules but not in the tactical role and have been playing catch-up for the last 6 months.
As before, the Brits are 'swept up' on their operations and their training. It always amazes me how different countries fly the exact same planes differently. The RAF have a 'can do' attitude. Their training methodology involves teaching competence not excellence. In other words, give the operators the training they need in order to do the job. The RAF are struggling to build up their Hercules crews as the older Hercules aircraft are being retired. There is no credit given for an older-type Hercules pilot transitioning to the Super Hercules. He/she must go through the same 13 week course that a new pilot from basic flight school must go through. The two types are completely different and if they had the chance to do the transition again the RAF would not have called the new Hercules (which looks the same from the outside) a Hercules but an entirely different name in order to get peoples' minds around the new avionics and capabilities. The aircraft is now operated with 3 primary crew vice 5 in the older Hercs.
Canada could learn alot from the RAF in how the Super Hercules is being employed and how crews are being trained.
We have made several hundred observations and written down many of the RAF's Lessons Learned or as we like to call it, Lessons Identified (not actually guaranteed to 'learn' or avoid the same lesson in Canada...).

Pictures for this visit can be found at


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb