Pre-Departure Blog!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Chipping Norton
February 26th 2007
Published: February 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Welcome to all interested viewers!

This is my pre-departure entry, and with it I suppose comes the realisation that I actually am going to be going away, and that in just a few days time I shall be breathing pure, pacific, slightly polluted, Tokyo air! It is no understatement to say that is so far probably one of the biggest things I have done in my life, and I say this not without a little relish but also a little apprehension. But after all, how easy is it to get lost in countries where English isn't even a second language? To be prefectly honest I hope I do get lost; it will certainly eliminate all this silliness about being worried about being lost. And perhaps it is the only way to truly immerse yourself in a culture...

First on my list of things to do after I step off the plane is to get my hair cut. Now this may sound absurd, but bear in mind when you see me next that I was clinically sane before I left, so this is a considered position. No, in fact it is with the carefullest planning that I wish to cut my glorious and not a little bit delicious golden locks and replace them with the height of Japanese fashion. For in fact I am a secret agent working for MI6, hoping to delve undercover into a Tokyo Yakuza crime ring...
Darnit! I'm not very good at keeping secrets. I suppose I'll just have to quit spying and go there for real. M, if you're out there, consider this my resignation.
To actually be honest and not just plain silly, I want to immerse myself in Japanese fashion and culture, and this is all part of the experience. Tokyo is a city of juxtapositions and curious cultural crossovers, and I have no doubt my first few dazed and confused days will be the best shock of my life. I have always wanted to see Japan, and now I shall do it in style! I reserve the right to be coy about my plans in order to force you to revisit my page out of overbearing curiousity, but as a sneaky peek for what's coming up in the next few days you can expect misordered sushi, kabuki theatre, Mt Fuji, Amusement parks, desperately confusing Tokyo subway stories, bullet trains, feudal castles, yakuza crime rings (oh right, scratch that) and many other things of infite curiousity. And it's gotta be worth it, if only to log on to see what I look like with crazy(er) hair. So I hope to hear from you and entertain you all soon.

Lastly, as Japan is the land of volcanoes, typhoons and Godzilla, I would like to quickly offer up a prayer. If you're up there, watch over me Superman! Wonderful to be young and irreverant, isn't it?

Richard Elliott Esquire, aka Postmodern Odyssean

Advertisement



27th February 2007

COOL!
Yay for Japan- it sounds very interesting place to go- I know Tom is very into Japan as well. Take lots of pics and take care! Emma x x

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb