Burford - Cotswolds


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Burford
February 5th 2021
Published: February 5th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 5th February- Burford

We started our tour by the three arched medieval bridge over the River Windrush

Burford was one of the first towns to receive a Market Charter.



Cotswold sheep were known as the basis of the English wool trade and were nicknamed ‘Cotswold Lions’ for their shaggy long coats that had a hint of golden tone.

The Cotswolds was famous for being one of the largest outputs for wool during Medieval times.



We made our way down the High Street with ancient houses, pubs and shops on both sides of the street. As we walked our guide told the story about the hotel frequented by King Charles and Nell Gwynn.

Unlike Charles' other mistresses, Nell never received a title herself, but she obtained a title for her son. When Charles Beauclerk was six years old Charles II granted the titles of Earl of Burford to his illegitimate son.



The 16th century Tolsey building, once the meeting place for medieval merchants, now houses The Tolsey Museum.



On one corner close to the Tolsey museum we saw a shop that has been a chemist’s
since 1734.



We wandered down side streets passing dry stone walls passing the Burford Grammar School. The School was founded as an Elizabethan Grammar School for boys in 1571 by a group of local merchants of whom Simon Wysdom, one time Alderman of the town, was the driving force.



Our tour was coming to an end, we passed a set of medieval almshouses to reach St John’s church. One of the large Cotswold 'wool churches' built between 1160 and 1475.

In 1649 mutineers in Cromwell's army (Levellers) were imprisoned in the church - one of them carved his name on the font! - before being forced onto the roof to watch their ringleaders execution in the churchyard. Those executed are commemorated on a plaque close to the porch.

In the grave yard we saw ‘Bale’ tombs, with rounded tops which are said to represent the bales of wool from which the town derived its money and reputation.



Before our guide departed he swung the camera round to view the pretty snowdrops.A sign that Spring is on the way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement






Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb