Guy Fawkes Day


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Nottinghamshire » Nottingham
November 7th 2007
Published: November 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

BonfireBonfireBonfire

One huge fire
So Monday was Guy Fawkes Day. The city had an official bonfire and fireworks a few tram stops away in the Forest so after dinner we headed down. Now, fireworks laws in this country are much different from at home. Almost anyone can buy fireworks and shoot them off wherever they want, which usually means their yards. And I am not talking about the little fireworks, I am talking full-fledged fireworks. And they do not only shoot them off on Guy Fawkes Day. We saw fireworks for a straight week. There was one night when we could watch two fireworks shows, one from our living room and one from the kitchen. On Monday the people across the street were shooting off their batch and they were almost right over our flat. We were a little worried that we might not have a flat when we returned. Anyway, we grabbed a crowded tram to the Forest and made our way through the fair attractions and crowds of people down to where they had lit the bonfire. There was a gate keeping people a good distance back because they had the fireworks set up near the fire. The fire was huge, kind of like the old bonfires that we used to have after the Homecoming football game. They no longer burn Guy Fawkes in effigy, however. But, the fireworks were really great. It was like 20 straight minutes of fireworks set to music as varied as The Lion King and Simple Gifts. However, they didn't play the 1812 Overture which was disappointing but really did not detract from the fireworks. So after the fireworks we headed back to the tram. It was so full it made the tube feel empty. We were packed in so tight that the ticket person couldn't move and we weren't sure that we would be able to get off the tram because we were on the wrong side. But we made it off and back to the flat. Then to end the night we watched V for Vendetta. All in all a pretty good Guy Fawkes Day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

FireworksFireworks
Fireworks

Finale!


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb