Kirkby Stephen to Keld


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire
July 22nd 2016
Published: July 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 for us, halfway mark of our walk and the first day with the Prices. Today's walk took us to the 2nd highest point of the trip, the Nine Standards. A steady climb to 662 m. Perched on the top of a range, the debate continues on why they are there - a beacon, a marking between boundaries, or a Shephard's folly...

We then negotiated the bogs along the red route, some sinking to their knees in mud, while others got through unscathed. It was then an easy walk through to Ravenseat Farm, where we met the infamous Amanda, who served us tea & scones, despite having just had her 10th child 7 weeks prem, only 6 days ago, and had to make the 2 hr journey to the hospital to visit her, after we all had left. she had returned home on the bus the day after having her, and she was as yet unnamed, as her husband hadn't seen her yet!

Wandered through to Keld, a pretty, tiny village, staying at Butt House. Said farewell to Richard & Tom, but hope to see them for a camping trip next year. Invited all our fellow walkers from other B & B's for drinks.

20km - could have gone further.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement




24th July 2016
International gathering

Keld
We stayed here about 25 years ago . Hope you enjoyed the Askham area . Very very wet when we were there . Cheers!

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb