A quiet day with my cousins


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Settle,North Yorkshire dales


Well,one good thing that came out of the little medical drama from last night involving Eric,the husband of my cousin Rhona,is that I am now sleeping in after 5am!!!!And Gretchen reckons that that in itself is a great achievement.
We were of course late to bed after returning from the hospital with Rhona,Eric and Jean around 1.30am.
So it was a very leisurely start to the day as we waited to hear from Eric and Rhona as to how Eric had been during the night and whether they felt comfortable in driving back to Leeds later in the day.
Thankfully he was much better when they called around late morning and it was good to see he had his colour back again.He had even had a hearty breakfast.
We chatted away again about things in general and of course the family and then joined them for lunch at the Golden Lion pub where they had been staying overnight.
After lunch we all trooped off to the Settle crown bowling lawn to watch cousin Iain who was playing for Settle in a local league match of crown bowls against a visiting team.
Crown bowls is similar to the lawn bowls we have
Settle Crown bowlsSettle Crown bowlsSettle Crown bowls

Iain with his hands on his hips has just won the game for his doubles team with a great final bowl
in NZ except that the lawn has a rise or crown in the general area of the middle of the lawn.This makes getting the bias on the bowl more critical than on a completely flat surface as in lawn bowls if you want to get your bowl closest to the jack.The jack is a larger bowl that the white kitty used in lawn bowls but serves the same purpose and that is to get as many of your sides bowls closest to it than the opposition bowls to scaoe the most points.
The only other main difference is that each end is played from where the last game end finished with the team winning the previous end deciding where to place the jack forthe next end.So ends were played in all directions on the lawn.
There were 3 separte games being played and not once was there a collison of bowls from opposition games.
Iain played some great bowls especially in the closing ends and his doubles team ran out a comfotrable winner of the match.
After congratulating Iain on the victory we headed back to the Golden Lion as Eric and Rhona had to get back home to Leeds.
Victoria Hall,SettleVictoria Hall,SettleVictoria Hall,Settle

The hall built in the mid 1800's is to place venue for a Beatles revival concert this Friday!!!

So after a lovely two days we said our goodbyes and hope that we can meet up again probably at their home in Leeds on our way south after visiting Scotland.
With the internet at Arthurs place still not available we went to the library and purchased a half hour to clear and catch up on emails.
Then it was time to blob out before dinner and watch some junk TV over a glass or two of wine.

Advertisement



20th June 2009

Thank goodness
Hi, glad to hear Eric seems to be better now - do you two have to make everything an adventure !! just loving seeing the photos - you both look very well indeed xx
22nd June 2009

Good to see the cousins
Great to see photos of the English cuzzies. Continuing to follow your travels as we are travelling too! Hope you have Bavaria on your travel list-its superb!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb