York Minster, Yorkshire, UK


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
April 16th 2005
Published: March 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The York MinsterThe York MinsterThe York Minster

Built between the 12th and the 15th Century and is the largest Gothic church in England.
After checking into our B&B The Alcuin Lodge, just a five minute walk from the York city walls; we took a walk through 1900 years of history on York's city walls.

Built in Roman times, these three and one half miles of Roman fortifications let you see York from a different and very beautiful perspective. They've been added to and rebuilt over time and now have parts from across the centuries.

York has a very long and intricate history. I will not get into much of it here, but it is the cathedral city of the Archbishop of York. The Romans occupied the area in AD 71 and built a fortress and wall, traces of which remain.

In the 7th century Paulinus became the first Archbishop of York, and Edwin, King of Northumbria, built a church where the present day Minster stands. The Danes conquered York in the ninth century and retained it as their Northumbrian capital. York derived its name from the Danish Yorvick.

York suffered severely in William I’s conquest of Northern England. Part of the city was destroyed and two defensive castles, now sites of Clifford’s Tower and the Castle Museum Complex where built
Minster ViewMinster ViewMinster View

From the city wall.
to subdue the rebellious north.

York’s Minster built between the 13th and the 15th century is the largest cathedral in Northern Europe.

At the great tower of York Castle (Clifford's Tower) on the night of Friday 16 March 1190, some 150 jews & jewesses of York having sought protection in the Royal Castle from a mob incited by Richard Malebisse and others chose to die at each other's hands rather than renounce their faith.

Clifford's Tower still bears the name of the medieval aristocratic traitor Roger de Clifford, who was hanged there in 1322.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Here we areHere we are
Here we are

On the York city wall.
Minster View and GardenMinster View and Garden
Minster View and Garden

From another part of the city wall.
Clifford's TowerClifford's Tower
Clifford's Tower

The Great Tower of York Castle, Built by Henry III, Scene of Jewish Massacre in 1190.
St. Mary's AbbeySt. Mary's Abbey
St. Mary's Abbey

Stunning ruins, built in 1294, the Benedictine Abbey was once the wealthiest and most powerful monastery in the north which eventually fell to ruin after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539, instigated by Henry VIII.
St. Mary's AbbeySt. Mary's Abbey
St. Mary's Abbey

...and Holly.
St. Mary's AbbeySt. Mary's Abbey
St. Mary's Abbey

Another view.
The Abbey of St. MaryThe Abbey of St. Mary
The Abbey of St. Mary

A nice place to sit.


Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 93; dbt: 0.1561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb