Where's the Chippy?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
July 25th 2006
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Thom - Finally arrived in York yesterday after staying with James and Emma in Penistone on Sunday night and then spending yesterday morning in Harrogate which is a fine, clean town with lots of well kept flowers, but not much else. Then we went to pitch up tent on a rather nice campsite just outside York. This was more expensive than we were quoted on the phone and the owners seemed unorganised.
Today we went into York and generally had a mooch around this morning looking at all the sights. We also went to the National Railway musuem which had some old interesting trains in including the Flying Scotsman which was in bits - it looked like the biggest meccano set in the world. It also had lots of royal carriages I never knew you could get a bath on a train.
We then on advice of Kayleigh's work mate Gail decided to look for a chippy for what she called the nicest Chips she'd ever tasted. But could we find one - could we heck. We finally did after covering most of the City centre. The chips and fish were gorgeous and after we were stuffed we embarked on a walking tour in the afternnon.
The walking tour was excellent and best of all it was free. The guide was a funny and intelligent guy but could be rather racist towards the Scottish. This was made more amusing by the fact that there was a Scottish girl on the tour. The tour took us to parts of the city we would never have found otherwise and it was very informative. Best of all was the walk on the cities walls which are amazing. After this we headed for the Minster which our guide informed us was free entry after 5 because the cash tills were closed at this time. I was so glad not to have paid the fiver earlier. After a tiring day we headed back to camp for some well earned rest.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st August 2006

We piss on your fish
Yes we do, yes we do. No wonder you couldn't find the best chippy, it's in Grimsby... another reason to visit. Get a pic of Blundell Park up

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0901s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb