Friday 23rd September – York then onto Edinburgh


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
September 23rd 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Part of the wall around York
Up late this morning as we are taking things easy at the moment! We moved out yet again and drove into the town (we found a free parking area today) and walked into the actual centre which has a stone wall around the outside of it (similar to Dubrovnik but not as good) that are the remains of the fort. It, of course, began to rain but we decided to walk the wall anyway and luckily it stopped raining after about 10 minutes into walking. We got some nice views of the town from up on the wall. The wall is only in sections because it is remains so we walked it until we came across the York Minster (which looks just like Westminster Abbey) and went in to have a look. We very promptly returned out as we were not about to pay £15 just to see the Minster. After walking out we went and found some lunch (can't remember what we has as it was a while ago... I mean... Of course I am writing my blog every day, religiously! :D).
Nicole told us she wanted to walk the Shambles (Most of the time her and Steve couldn't manage
Photo 3Photo 3Photo 3

York Minster
to get the name right and kept calling it the Rambles) so we found that. We got to the street called the Shambles and I didn't really think anything of it as it just looked like a normal street, just a bit busier – not when you start to walk down it! All of the shops on the street really were a shambles in that they were quite wonkey donkey! You could clearly see the second storey of some of these shops were made with crooked planks of wood, shop signs had to be made with angles to accommodate the strange lines on the buildings. Behind this was a market so we looked around there where we discovered that we had eaten dinner at the Shambles last night (we ate at a restaurant at the end of the Shambles).
We left York at about 4pm and headed for our 4 hour drive to Edinburgh (according to the GPS anyway!) We stopped in along the way to eat tea and had a few toilet breaks a long the way too. I bet you can't guess where we are staying tonight... darn it, how did you guess? Yip, Travelodge! But at the
Photo 4Photo 4Photo 4

A shop in the Shambles
airport. We had a bit of a mission finding accommodation because it was a Friday night and we later discovered that it is also World Karate Championships tomorrow!
After having another chuckle at Nicole making her own bed we didn't do much else before going to bed!
Feeling a bit sad thinking we only have about 3 weeks left of our holiday! :'(
Love you all!
XX


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Photo 5Photo 5
Photo 5

Another shop in the Shambles


Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0862s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb