The National Railway Museum, York


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
October 10th 2010
Published: October 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We visited the National Railway Museum on 24 February 2008. The museum has been established in the former railway station building with the original turntable near the actual railway station. The museum offered an insight into the glorious past of the railway industry, and made us feel that we were invited to the real depot rather than the purpose-built museum.

We started looking round the Grant Hall. There were different types of the trains which include: Shinkansen, Mallard, Eurostar, diesel trains, freight cars, and horse carriages.

The Shinkansen or bullet train, which is used for the permanent exhibition at the National Railway Museum, is an outdated bullet train, Hikari, which was running between 1970 and 2001 in Japan. Yet, that bullet train seems to be "a dream train" in the UK. The description of Shinkansen included the fact that: Japanese railway companies decided to build the tracks for high speed train services alongside the existing railway lines, and therefore it has enabled bullet trains to maintain and increase the speed. By the same token, the walls for shinkansen lines were constructed so as to prevent causing the noise and polluted air whilst the high speed trains are running. Furthermore, the construction of railway lines for high speed trains is earthquake and typhoon proof. Therefore, Japanese bullet trains are able to convey passengers at the fast speed and very high standard of punctuality, reliability, and safety except in the event of the extreme disasters.

The Mallard, which is the fastest steam train, was proudly standing in the centre of the Grand Hall. A number of locomotives, e.g. Enfield Line and diesel trains were lined in a circle around the turntable.

After listening to the talk of the turntable, we went to the warehouse exhibition. We saw the passenger cars of Flying Scotman and read the history. We were amazed at a vast volume of memorabilia which as been contributed to the exhibition by railway companies or railway enthusiasts. The collections included marble statues, baskets, dinner sets, station plates, lamps, chess games, books, miniature railway, playing cards, furniture, to name just a few. There was a display of the horse with the description of his role that he used to carry luggage for passengers' destinations from the stations.

Next, we went upstairs, and looked round the exhibitions and observatory. A series of panels illustrated the history of North East Railway. We overlooked the depot and spotted the locomotive car of Flying Scotman being repaired.

We had lunch in the restaurant in the Grand Hall. As expected, the museum was popular with tourists and families with children. There was a long queue for Thomas the Tank Engine's ride. There were lots of famous and nostalgic cars, e.g. Cornish Riviera and Royal Carriage. The exhibition for Royal Carriage seemed to be appreciated by the Royal worshippers. The red carpet was laid on, and there was a line of Union Jack flags hoisted from the ceiling. We looked at the personalised sleeping cars, restaurant cars, bathrooms, and drawing rooms with luxurious furniture and facilities of the Royal Carriage which Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, and members of the Royal family used for their travel. There were also several glass cases displaying dinner sets and accessories which the Royal families used and wore. The heritage cars at the Grand Hall included an old-fashioned luggage trolley, horse carriages, and former first/second/third class passenger cars.


 



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb