Thursday July 2


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post


Thursday saw us leaving our billets at St. Aidan’s and moving on to Yarm School, about ten miles south-west of Middlesborough. After departing early in the morning we proceeded to travel to York, an old city which has been inhabited since Roman times and has been an important stronghold for many civilisations. We were given the instructions to be back at the bus by 3:30 and therefore had a free roam for the rest of the day.

We split up and walked around the city. My group, which consisted of Skinner, Ben, Jake P, Night, Glasper, Dan Sull, Ian and Jake Argent went up the tower of the ministry, a staggering 278 steps (according to Ian) on a spiral staircase which was just 60 cm wide. Once at the top we had sweeping views of scenery in the clear blue sky. After the descent, where Ben hurt his ankles a couple of more times, we had some lunch before going to the… HAUNTED HOUSE. This house was obviously very old and when the T.V show “Most Haunted” went in there, they ran out screaming. Naturally we were all freaking out and this climaxed as we were sitting round an old round table in darkness and I slipped under the table, brushed Glasper’s leg causing him to nearly have a heart attack. It resulted in him punching me once we got outside so justice was done.

We then went to York Dungeon where we were inspected for signs of the plague, I was convicted for stealing old French wood carvings and sentenced to death by hanging by the thumbs, Michael was the subject of medieval torture methods and Ben also almost had a heart attack when a woman jumped out from what appeared to be a mirror.

Following this we went on an underground tour of what life in York had been like for the Vikings.

It was time to head back to the coach and following a stop off in a sports store, where Skinner and Ben stocked up on Liverpool jerseys, we went back to the bus ready for our 5th billets.

Almost immediately after arriving at the school, we left with our billets and I was paired with Jacob Argent. Once we were in the car we realised we would be quite well off at this house and were not to be disappointed as the first room we entered consisted of a full size snooker table, table tennis table, table football, darts, gym, piano, big LCD T.V, five couches and a ton of memorabilia. We were quite happy to spend the entire evening there but first went to watch our host, Ben, play in a cricket game and met up with Night, Skinner and Pahor at the game.

After returning home we sunk our teeth into a curry which ranked at 9/10 on the Jacob Argent scale and eventually retired for the evening.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb