York October 2007


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » York
November 4th 2007
Published: November 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Clifford's Tower Clifford's Tower Clifford's Tower

Taken from the hotel window.
Hi, well another great mini trip. We just loved our time in York. We arrived by train last Tuesday morning and settled into the Central Travelodge where we stayed for the next three nights. Looking out of our window we were amazed with the view which looked across to Clifford's Tower the ruined keep of the old castle.

What a wonderful sunny day, very little breeze and warm enough to just wear light coats, quite perfect really. We loved what we saw on that first day walking along the top of the wall. The old city lies within the wall on about fifty acres so it is easy to get about, walking is definitely is best way in this particular area.

The Minster was enormous and this was a lovely time of year to see it, we enjoyed going to evensong at the Minster, the singing of the quire and the magnificent organ music made it well worth attending. There were a number of highlights during our visit to York, amongst them were the Jorvik Viking Centre, where one travels back in time about 1000years and experiences what life was like in Jorvik the old Viking name for York. It was so very well done fantastic actually. Another must we thought was the the guided walk we went on by a volunteer called Barry a retired history teacher and absolutely brilliant. We saw the old Roman ruins and the ruined St Mary's Abbey. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed looking through the Merchant's Adventurers Hall, a fascinating building which is still being used by the York Merchant Adventurers members today, dating back 650 years. Then there was the National Trust building the Treasurer's House about 400 years old the last private owner. The house had been built on top of an old Roman road and while there we also opted to go on a ghost tour down in the cellar area, very interesting. You may wonder why I have included a photo of Betty's Tea Rooms, well that's for you John and Di, thought it might bring back some fond memories of romantic teas you no doubt enjoyed in this very popular Tea house. We splurged on lunch and some interesting blends of teas there, it was well worth it.

We finished our visit on a fine sunny Friday, in the morning we walked over to the Art Gallery,
Clifford's TowerClifford's TowerClifford's Tower

Inside the tower
we found the visit very rewarding. On the way back to the Travelodge we had one more look along the well known street called the Shambles, so old and fascinating. Before leaving York we walked along the river front and up to the National Railway Museum, that was very good, and Geoff we thought of you a number of times when looking at the wonderful old engines.

York was a great place to visit and we would love to return again.







Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Views from TowerViews from Tower
Views from Tower

Looking over York
River OuseRiver Ouse
River Ouse

This river goes through York
The Direction of an old Roman St.The Direction of an old Roman St.
The Direction of an old Roman St.

The Roman road is about 11 Feet under this road
The First full brick house built in YorkThe First full brick house built in York
The First full brick house built in York

Built soon after the Great Fire of London by Dutch builders
The Kings HouseThe Kings House
The Kings House

Now part of York University


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb