Whitby, Yorkshire


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Whitby
September 2nd 2019
Published: September 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Oh to be in England now. We travelled from Asenby to Whitby on the North Sea Coast through all the little and Mid sized picturesque towns. The route reminds us of all the English poems and literature we read mostly through grade school and a few novels after. The thatched roofs and pastures of sheep ( Terri’s friends, cotton balls.
Arriving in Whitby in low tide we saw many boats settled on mud sea floor. In the distance we could see our destination of the once glorious Whitby Abbey. We walked through the narrow streets with shops on either side, Noting along the way the Lucky Duck ship and the Black Horse pub both future stops after the trek to the Abbey. St. Hilda would have been overjoyed with the church and Abbey before Good? King Henry 8ths destruction and of course saddened after. You can see the largeness and splender of the Abbey’s past. Glorious.
Returning to the town we couldn’t resist purchasing a “lucky duck” and having a very welcomed beer and glass of white wine.
Whitby is the boyhood home of the famous Capitan Cook who had explored Canada’s West Coast. We walked around Whitby climbing hills and finally settling down for a fine dinner of Fish and Chips, one of the very best I have had at the Trenchers Resturant.
It was a very pleasant drive back followed by a movie Funny “Waking Ned”.
Wonderful time
Cheers.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb