Day 14- Danby Wiske- Ingleby Cross (10+ miles)


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After two map and compass classes and two weeks of walking, I am finally feeling today that I'm figuring out how to actually use the map and compass! Of course, now that I think I've figured it out, the trails are becoming much better marked and there are still others that probably are better than I am.....but it's probably a good skill for me to have learned.

Today's hIke was only 10 miles and very easy walking so we arrived at our B&B by 3:00--definitely a record. We still managed to get off trail once and had to retrace our steps...but we weren't too far off. We could see the road ahead of us that we needed to get to, but we took a wrong turn in a pasture and couldn't find a way out! We debated trying to get over a fence, but decided to go back and find the trail since you are not supposed to walk on land other than places that are designated as public access.

The most challenging part of the day was crossing a major highway. I had read about having to cross a busy highway but I was hoping that a pedestrian bridge might have been built since we have had two other major highways to cross and there were bridges at both of them. Unfortunately, there was no bridge. We all made it across safely...were happy there was a median where we could wait for another opening. I think we were lucky because it was a Sunday morning so it wasn't as busy as it might have been. We also had to cross train tracks which are used by high speed trains. I don't think we'd see either of these crossings in the U.S.!

Our B&B is another charming place with great views. We were greeted with a glass of champagne! We how've actually walked a mile past the small town of Ingleby Cross and are at the edge of a small forest on the edge of North Moors National Park. We wont be heading to the pub tonight since none of us wants to walk down the hill and back up! We have already ordered our dinner which will be served to the 9 people staying here. The two Dutch sisters, who have been hiking with us are here as well as a British couple. I'm sitting in the
White Swan B&B and PubWhite Swan B&B and PubWhite Swan B&B and Pub

Danby Wiske accommodation.
garden enjoying the views as chickens and a rooster roam around me. I saw the proprietor picking herbs from the herb garden for our dinner tonight.

Life is good!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb