Visit to RHS Harlow Carr


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Harrogate
September 12th 2018
Published: September 12th 2018
Edit Blog Post

RHS Harlow Carr is a short distance from our hotel but we set off nice and early as we had reserved a mobility scooter for David. The gardens cover an extensive acreage and it would have been impossible for him to enjoy all of the gardens by foot.

The donation of £5 was well worth it so he could enjoy all the gardens had to offer, although by the end of our visit I too could have done with a scooter !



The weather was glorious again, sunshine and blue skies and although autumn was only just arriving at Harlow Carr there was plenty of colour either remnants of the summer season or the start of the autumn season.



We took our time enjoying all the wonderful things to see and there were so many places to sit and relax, as we had arrived early there were very few people about, but of course it is a popular place to visit and by late morning the visitors were arriving thick and fast.

Despite the number of visitors the grounds are so extensive that at no time did it feel crowded.



The kitchen gardens were full of a variety of crops of all shapes & sizes. We then made our way to the alpine house with its diverse plants, always fascinating to see.

I was a little disappointed not to see more variety in the Foliage Garden but the little summer house was a pleasant place to rest a while.



The scented garden was past its best as most of the roses had gone over but there were still a few remaining and yes they were scented.



It was soon time to enjoy a coffee at Betty's Garden Tea House close to the sandstone rock garden & old bath house where there was an exhibition of local crafts for sale.



The main borders were full of colour as we made our way to the wild meadow area where we found a huge bug sculpture made from wicker. All around this area were posts with the names of birds on a metal plate, if you touched the plate you could hear the sound of the bird; chaffinch, blackbird, robin to name a few.(All the panels were solar powered).



We continued along the woodland walk where cyclamen were showing through the floor of ferns and bracken.

We paused for a sit down in the sunshine and bidding good day to passers by and what a coincidence I saw a couple who I thought I recognised, they looked at me too so I said "I know the face but not the name but I'm guessing you are probably WI or a Flower Arranger". The lady replied "Indirectly both!".

The couple in the past had been quiz masters for both Bishop's Stortford WI & Boundary Flower Club. Small world !!



It was soon time for a light snack in Betty's cafe. All very nice but rather an expensive sandwich at £5.25 without salad garnish or crusts!!!



Our journey continued, passing the lake and the lakeside gardens all quite different a still full of colour especially the dahlia bed.

This was our first time to RHS Harlow Carr and if we are ever back this way I am certain we will return.

We hope you enjoy the gardens through our eyes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 71, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb