C2C - Beaks Hill to Blakey Ridge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Danby
June 5th 2022
Published: June 5th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Waking to a dead bird outside our tent (paul made friends with the farms cat last night so I guess it was it’s gift to him) gave an eerie start to the day, which was emphasised with the grey mist and strong winds. However, despite the weather remaining dull and hazy all day (at least it wasn’t raining!) the trail continued along well paved and signed paths, meandering up and down and over the North York Moors. There was a little bit of rock climbing up to the highest point of today, as well as randomly treading along a sandy path for a short while, and we got to see several grouse as well as other birds and moorland plants.

Not seeing any obviously long distance walkers again, we saw few people at all today, just a few bikers and a couple of climbers. Maybe everyone is too busy celebrating the jubilee and/or maybe the weather put people off today, as the wind has remained very powerful all day; coats on for wind protection and heads, ears and hands covered! We even dipped into a small brick shelter to stop for lunch which felt like a win, until we noticed we were sat on a load of little tics!

Quickly brushing off and moving on, we continued along the now old railway, and later, turning a corner, suddenly spotted the Lion Inn, standing high on Blakey ridge with grey clouds creeping in behind it. Making it there before any rain started, we noted the lack of wind protection in their camping field and the tents already there being blown about dramatically. The obvious choice then, was to accept the offer an available room at the inn right?! A hot and powerful shower was most welcome, a cuppa and a biscuit, and time to relax in the warmth. It’s also allowed us to join in and catch up with some of the jubilee celebrations on the telly too. Lovely.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb