Sleaford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lincolnshire
May 18th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A relatively relaxing day - and only one shower until the evening.
Drove west towards Sleaford (small market tow) taking photos of the landscape. Very agricultural … little of real interest although not unattractive. First place of interest was Cogglesford Watermill on the outskirts of Seaford. Convenient and free car park adjacent to the mill allowed a short walk in both directions alongside the small stream.

Continued on my way until I found Belton House dating from the late seventeenth century and considered to be one of the finest Restoration estates in the country. £8 entry to the house of gardens - no charge to me as a National Trust member. Wandered around the attractive woods and took photos of the house.

Continued my travels in the afternoon nothing of significance. Spent some minutes searching for a non-existent manor house and then looked at some churches. Found Harlaxton Manor which is a prime example of Gothic Revival architecture for the early nineteenth century. Seems now to be occupied by an American University (Evansville Univ - anyone ?). They did not seem to welcoming - something to do with my lurking around with a telephoto lens !!!! Suspected they might be one of those cults so disappeared rapidly.

Back to base relatively early - made dinner and did some washing. Latter would have been more successful if I had remembered to put some washing powder in the machine !!!!!!

Squally showers throughout the evening - not pleasant. Forecast seems much the same into next week when I will be marauding across Yorkshire.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb