jogle April 27th 2011 Carnforth to Whitchurch


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire » Carnforth
April 27th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Early out we went , by 06.50 we were on the road , trying to make up for yesterdays shortened route, I was determined to get through Preston by 9.00 am.en route breakfast was to be at a road side van , a massive bap/cob full of all the things that make a man happy, we chatted over the bap and coffee , wondering about the wherabouts of Matt Green , the other lad who we had met on the thurso train and who had cycled with us to Inverness , as we talked i spotted the day glo orange jersy that Matt had been wearing drifting past this big layby , we quickly got on the bikes and chased him down ...so now we were 3 , destination Shropshire via the Mersey Ferry.
Preston passed and we picked up theA59 toward Ormskirk, this in turn would take us to Bootle and down to the Mersy Ferry ...exciting stuff.It was on this route that we met several lejoggers , most of them talking about the pending climb up Shap , (it is much worse going north!)
After negotiating horrendous traffic through Bootle we arrived at the Liver building , in sparkling sunshine the city looked great ..could have been Chicago or Boston , old buildings juxtaposed between modern glass /steel skyscrapers.
the Ferry tickets were purchased , 1 way to Birkenhead £3.00 includes the bike ! bargain , as we waited a film crew arrived and announced that Ronnie Corbett , and Ken Dodd would be on our ferry filmiomg a documentry , classic stuff , this made us all laugh and we did get chance to chat with Doddy , he seemed to think we were mad, but approved of the charity fundraising , noteably they didnt offer any coffers for the cause !
After the short (but slightly extended ferry ride we disembarked in Birkenhead.
It was here that we met Chris , an affable scouser who showed a short cut through no traffic estate roads to the main Chester rd, he chatted to us waxing about Liverpool and how he loved his cycle ride to work , and that on Eurpoean nights he could hear the singing from Anfield ...he was a very genuine helpful scouser , they do exist "alright alright calm down" lol.
We picked up the A41 , this road would take us all the way to Whitchurch right on the Cheshire /Shropshire border , however it was in Shropshire so destination reached . we camped here on the canalside campsite , right opposite a fine local boozer /gastro pub perfect .
freezing cold night though brrrr.
tomorrow Gloucester my home town , im going home for a night !!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb