The Canterbury Tales


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Canterbury
February 14th 2012
Published: March 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first stop on my tour of south-east England is Canterbury, home of one of the grandest cathedrals in England. It was where I headed first and it was everything it was built up to be. It was stunning, with amazing architecture and stained glass windows. It wasn't crowded, so I got a very unhindered view of it. I can only imagine what it was like during its heyday.

Next I walked around the streets, eventually making my way to the Norman castle. It wasn't much, just four walls with a hollow inside, but when you think about how much effort and time went into building you get a whole new appreciation for it. A building like this took lifetimes to build.

I met Amy there and then we walked down High Street, looking at the shops. Unlike Oxford, most of the shops were local/non-chain stores. They were so unique and unusual and the food all smelled amazing. We had dinner at a fish and chips to go shop. They threw fish and fries in a big paper cone and you just walked around with it, eating. We sat and talked for quite a while, enjoying the atmosphere and the twilight.

Tomorrow to Dover.


Additional photos below
Photos: 79, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



14th March 2012

Wow
I enjoyed the tree. Is it an big tree that broke and then an new tree growing out of it ? Thanks for close up of the stained glass

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb