Song in my Heart: England - Broadstairs, Wednesday 2018 August 15


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Broadstairs
August 15th 2018
Published: December 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Elham Valley Vineyard Elham Valley Vineyard Elham Valley Vineyard

Lush tranquility
Rosemary and I walked to Broad Street to buy fish (opposite route than going to the sea front). What a richness of fish was in the window and in the display case at the fish monger’s! Rosemary requested three pounds of rock salmon. Watching him fillet them was a thrill, his movements were so quick and so sure.

For our expedition we went to lunch at Elham Valley Vineyard, meeting Judy, who had attended college with Rosemary. The afternoon drifted by with glasses of locally made rosé (me) and tea or coffee. I ate dressed crab (taken out of the shell and packed into half a shell) with lots of salad. Enjoying our conversational flow, we eventually ordered more wine and coffee and two pieces of cake to share (coffee walnut cake and carrot cake). Light sun came and went over the afternoon.

Before leaving, we walked around the workshops of the Vineyard, which provided protected employment to mentally challenged adults. A pottery session was underway; the items for sale were cute, especially sheep made from little balls of white clay. In the wood workshop they were making an unusual bench that had an oak seat in a modified wave shape.
Potential winePotential winePotential wine

Elham Valley Vineyard
Rosemary liked it so much that she decided to buy it and left her name for when it was finished and polished.

On the way home we stopped at a large fresh market and bought potatoes, green vegetables, eggs and so on. Going home, Rosemary took detours through Ramsgate and the clogged streets of Broadstairs Folk Week to show me some views. Now we were as tired as if we had really done a lot. Graham made fish and chips for supper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



8th December 2019

Wines and wanderings
A delightful day. Do they make red table wine, too, or are their growing conditions better suited to whites and roses? (Lacking the "acute e" symbol, that's roz-ehs, not rozez.) The fish market sounds great. I came to an appreciation of fish rather later in life - perhaps a function of growing up in a landlocked province with no easy access to fresh northern whitefish, either. I often don't pay much attention to the map, but this time for some reason I got to wondering about larger spatial context, and was surprised to find that Broadstairs is only about 130km from London. Somehow it seems like such a community (relatively small and quaint-ish?) should be more remote.

Tot: 0.628s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 33; qc: 143; dbt: 0.2439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb