Tennyson Down


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Isle of Wight » Freshwater
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The coastal path between Freshwater and the Needles is managed by the National Trust, registered as Tennyson Heritage Coast, Site of Special Scientific Interest, and the Area of Outstanding Beauty, and offers breathtaking views of chalky cliff and rugged coastlines.

Starting from Freshwater, the trail goes past the hillside where cows and rabbits are periodically grazing, myriads of blue wildflowers and buttercups spread their carpets, and you can see scattered bending trees.

The coastline between Freshwater and the Needles is the place where Victorian poet, Alfred Tennyson produced a series of poems. After walking uphill, you will see the monument commemorating his achievements. It is the summit of the hill where Tennyson’s monument stands. If it’s a fine day, you’re able to see the Old Harry Rocks and Purbeck Coast at the west direction, Yarmouth and Lymington harbours at the north direction, and Solent Sea, St Catherine Point, and Brighstone Bay at the east direction. As the Needles is located behind the West High Down, it’s not possible to see the Needles Rocks from the Tennyson Down.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 38; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb