St Anthony Head, Roseland Peninsula


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Cornwall » Falmouth
January 10th 2011
Published: January 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Overlooking the spectacular entrance to the Fal Estuary, St Anthony Head on the toe of Roseland Peninsula, has excellent coastal and sheltered creekside walks.

Southern Roseland Peninsula is one of the remotest coastlines in Cornwall, which can only be accessible by the small boat with maximum passengers of 10 from St Mawes harbour between May and September.

There aren’t any supermarkets, banks, and post office on the toe of Roseland Peninsula. It is therefore advised that you should buy food and drinks if you plan walking or swimming around southern Roseland Peninsula.

The small boat goes through Percuil River after leaving St Mawes harbour, and reached the Place harbour surrounded by the gold sandy beach. You will find the Place House on the right hand, which is an emblem of southern Roseland Peninsula.

There is a signpost for St Anthony Head on the left hand. Follow the sign and you will start the woodland trail. The woodland trail goes through the dense wood and the 13th century church, which intriguingly is connected with the Place House.

The woodland trail leads you to coastal path where you can look across St Mawes, Falmouth, Carrick Road with views of Fal Estuary, and the coastal path leads you to St Anthony Head, which is managed by the National Trust. There are a couple of remains of defensive fortifications which have been discovered recently and the light house on the St Anthony Head. As for the buildings for the defensive fortifications, they were used as magazine where the soldiers kept gun powers and fort where the soldiers attacked enemy’s aircraft careers during the World War II and many of them were demolished. Some of the remaining ones have been converted to the toilet and hide where you can observe the migratory birds. Moreover, you will enjoy the breathtaking views of St Mawes and Falmouth harbours, and Lizard Peninsula from St Anthony Head.

Following the southeast direction from St Anthony Head, you will reach the Zone Point overlooking the azure coloured water and golden beach. Porthbeor Beach can be reached by the steep steps from the coastal path. After leaving the beach, you will go through Bohartha village, and go back to the woodland trail to return the Place Harbour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb