Start of Judy's new blog!


Advertisement
Published: May 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dear all,

Please forgive late start-up with our new blog but the internet has been down in a large part of the neighbourhood where we are staying, however here we are finally, back online tonight! So starting from the beginning.......



Monday 30th April

Departure Day......at last!!!

Russell managed to get packed just in time for a 12.00 noon departure...there's always something else to do. Lately it's been to make sure everything was right so that, from his phone or the computer, he could watch the burglers running through the house from overseas!!

We decided it was definitely worth a few dollars to have a special check in counter and then a special boarding lane to take us upstairs to our Premium Economy section of the plane.....then some nice personal attention throughout the flight. Just keep working Russell...we need those extra funds.

At Singapore we were looking forward to a nice evening swim in the rooftop pool but by the time we got to our room it was too late.....doors locked. We'll definitely have to make sure we get to the infinity pool on the 52nd floor of our hotel on he way back.



Tuesday 1st May

A good night's sleep and we were ready to face the onslaught of the day. We met some friends from our time living in Singapore, for morning tea in Tanglin Mall which was attached to the hotel. We were astounded to discover a Brunetti's...that famous Melbourne institution....right there on our door step just waiting to serve us a really good cup of coffee. The spectacular array of cakes, pastries and icecreams was something to behold and needless to say, the place was humming!

At lunch time we met Jac Little and the children in a most suitable outdoor eating area of the hotel. It was so nice to catch up with them and those children were so beautifully behaved it was a joy.

After checking out and putting our cases in the storage room we headed to Holland Village to catch up with Phil and Judy Sinden. He's now the vicar of St. Georges where we went to church but he'd been our vicar at All Saints in Jakarta. Small world. After drinks and lots of chat, Judy and I headed off to some of the old haunts I remembered. Fun.

Just time for a delicious fruit smoothie and a read beside the pool before we collected our cases, changed clothes for the plane and headed to the airport and on board our flight to England. A little more of that special attention didn't go astray.



Wednesday 2nd May

Some of you may have heard recently of the long waits at Heathrow to get through immigration etc. Well...I think they've been given the hurry up. We went straight through, together, and then on to get our cases which were ALREADY coming around on the carousel. How's that? Then we headed down to the railway to get to Paddington. That was the easy part.......finding our way to the line to take us from Paddington to St. Pancras took a little asking and doing but eventually we got there in perfect time to catch a train. Not much of a wait at St. Pancras til our train came. I couldn't find a First Class carriage, for which we had a ticket, so thought I'd better just get on. Russell who decided to ask a most unhelpful station hand checking to see all was clear , missed the train... I couldn't believe it when I got a text to say he'd be on the next train. I'd expected him to come thro the doors from the next carriage at any minute! As it turned out he had an express train which went to a different platform so he didn't even see me sitting there in the cold waiting for him. Another phone call and I headed to the entrance to meet him. We caught a taxi and let ourselves into the house as Donna was taking the boys to school. It was so nice and warm.

We'd hardly walked through the house when I looked out the back and there going across the fence was a little squirrel, right on cue. We were told they were often seen but as a welcome to England it was so appropriate and as it turned out, we didn't see many more.

Nice too to have a shower , even if I was crouched in the bath trying to hold the shower head to wash my hair then not get cold. Talk about English showers! I did feel much better in the end.

It was lovely to pick the boys up from school. As each one saw they were just so excited, jumping up and down saying, “My Grandma's here”. What a welcome, it melts the heart. Enough if all that!!!



Thursday 3rd May

After a good night's sleep we felt we could venture forth...so we did. Getting on the bus was a treat...the poor driver just didn't know what to charge us so he gave us a wink and said..”Don't worry” and nodded his head towards the seats. Pensioners here have free bus travel.

It was so interesting driving through the streets and getting a feel for the place. It has a nice feel to it with numerous parks and tree lined streets. When we got to town we headed where Donna had suggested to the old quarters....and old they were. We came upon buildings, the most visible being the Clock Tower, from the twelfth century and even older. It's amazing to think of this age but everything looked so solid and it wasn't until you looked carefully you realised the style of building was really old. Opposite was a very old hotel which is one of a few which claims to be the oldest in England. We're told it's quite nice for a meal....we didn't really have time. It was so good walking around the cobbled streets and just taking in the atmosphere, just thinking about how old everything is.

We had a quick lunch at a small, cosy cafe and then headed towards the cathedral. It seems that the original date of the first church at St. Alban's tomb is unknown but a larger one was built around the original in 793. Alban was the first Christian martyr in England so this whole area is very important in the country's history.

You really know you're in an old place when you go through a small archway between two buildings an walk down a narrow, winding laneway which then opens out to a high walled area with the cathedral behind. We walked through a gateway in the wall, through a pretty garden and then followed signs along the side of the building until we found the entrance. Like so many old cathedrals we were able to see the various extensions, overlays, improvements as well as some disappointing modern additions. Some original murals had been uncovered on a few pillars. We also discovered that during a service in 1323 five arches collapsed....imagine that when you're sitting in church and that happens. We didn't hear how many people died or were injured during this catastrophe but maybe not too many as it was along the side.

A highlight tour showed us all the most important things including the only watch loft in England. This was built above a side area where pilgrims gathered before paying homage to St. Alban. These pilgrims all brought gifts which they left and people in the watch loft watched through tiny slits in the walls of the loft to make sure nobody stole any of the gifts left. As our guide said..."first CCTV"!!

After leaving the cathedral we walked down Fishpool Street because a man in the Tourist Info Centre suggested it because the gutters were built up quite high to accommodate horses and carts. Like the new high tram stops in Melbourne. This street also had some really pretty houses and other buildings so the man with the camera stuck to his eye was perfectly happy. My biggest problem was that it was bone chillingly cold and we weren't walking fast enough to get the blood really pumping.

Eventually I thought we'd gone far enough so at the next tiny alley we headed through to another street and then back to town. Thankfully at Marks and Spencer we found warm, a toilet and a cafe...the three most important needs taken care of!

When we got home we discovered the boys were a bit disappointed that we hadn't picked them up from school so we'd better not make that mistake again. However, to make up for it, we brought out the sewing I'd brought from Oz. Several colours of hessian and wool. To start with we set out to create a table mat each. Jack turned out to be an excellent sewer....beautiful straight lines of stitching and he was able to sew a J once I put the dots in place. Charlie was a fast learner and did some really good stitching as well. Tomorrow Charlie wants to make a Robin Hood hat!!!

Discovered this afternoon whilst reading the local paper why we had no phone or internet connection. Vandals had broken into five junction boxes and stolen 60 feet of copper wire and things should be back to normal by Sunday. Very frustrating.



Friday 4th May

Today we decided to go a little further afield. St. Albans used to be called Verulamium in Roman times and we went looking for Verulamium Park and Museum. Down past the Cathedral and through the old Abbey Gateway through which the pilgrims used to approach.

Verulamium Park turned out to be really lovely with a big lake around which was a walking path and on which lots of ducks and other water birds swam and dived for food for themselves and their chicks. It was a huge area of 60 acres or so.

It includes some extensive ruins and excavation has discovered some really well preserved artifacts. In the museum they have a wonderful collection of glass and pottery bits and pieces as well as rooms re-created to give the authentic Roman feel. Close by they've discovered a really interesting mosaic floor complete with the stoking hole where the fire heated air and was ducted underneath the floor. It's called a hypocaust.They really were right up to date! The tiles were in amazingly good condition and this room was a part of a wealthy town house in the city.
Mt Pleasant HouseMt Pleasant HouseMt Pleasant House

Liked the mossy roof.
It's quite mind stretching to think that these things began to be built after AD43 after the Roman conquest and Verulamium became one of the largest towns in Roman Britain.

It was later destroyed during the revolt of Queen Boudiccea in AD 60 - 61 before being rebuilt. This was one of her three major battles against the Romans, the others being Colchester and London

There are various places where there are quite long pieces of the old Roman wall and also other examples of early life including a theatre. We'll have to go hunting further on another day.

As we emerged we realised it was time to make haste back to town for lunch and then to meet Donna and collect Charlie. Even the teacher was pleased we'd come so Charlie obviously hadn't stopped talking about us!

As Jack was at a friend's place to play, we decided to make Charlie's hat. I won't say another thing....just wait for the photo. He was very proud of himself. It seems the photo isn't included....what a shame, he looked so cute and proud of himself.



Saturday 5th May

As Richard and Donna are having to move to the house they're buying sooner than expected, they needed to go and choose white goods and other bits and pieces. Our job was to mind the boys to make this task easier. The plan was to go to a local park known as "Our park".

We packed the plane we'd brought from Australia and had been promising to fly when we went to a park. The back garden here is only a few metres in either direction ....and also the soccer ball.

The plane was a great success. It flew, looped the loop, glided and all in all caused much enjoyment. The soccer ball too. Charlie was a great little dribbler, I was hard pressed to relieve him of the ball. This park also has some really interesting pieces of play equipment which made sure Grandpa was rather exhausted. A takeaway coffee from the local shop was jus the ticket to give him a break as well as warm our innards!

Not sure whether we managed a rest after lunch but a little later out came the games. Always fun, especially if you win. Nothing changes!

R&D were rather tired when the got home but at least they'd managed to order most of the things they wanted.



Sunday 6th May

The plan was to go to Clarence Park, a little further away but which turned out to be a really beautiful English park opened by royalty in 1894. The pathways, lawns, gardens, trees and playground were really lovely and the rotunda in the middle just set it off. The rhododendrons and azaleas were coming out and if the weather manages to warm up a little, the trees, which were struggling to make it through budburst, should produce lovely shady leaves in the summer.

Richard and Russell rode an adult bike and Jack's and we took Charlie's in the car. This meant there was plenty to do riding around and practising changing gears etc. We also took the cricket set which we set up in one of the open spaces. Jack's getting so good at batting and also he wants me to say how much his throwing's improved and Richard was only happy when hitting the ball almost out of the park. Kept everyone very busy. It was about then I came up with the latest addition to the list of collective nouns....an encumbrance of clothes. It's SO COLD!

Soup and some delicious fresh rolls were just the thing!

As all the Harpers (Russell's sister and the family) were coming for lunch on Monday (Bank holiday) Donna and I headed to Sainsbury's for a big shop up. Some of the better supermarkets here are quite something. I guess you learn your way around eventually!



Monday 7th May

It was mostly a matter of tidying up this tiny house....I'd struggle to live in such a small place. Russell and Richard were out looking for a gas bottle to attach to their Hong Kong BBQ which wouldn't blow the place to smitherines! The first one was no good. Second try was successful and linked up nicely.

It's a bit funny trying to organise a BBQ for vegetarians but with the aid of Linda. McCartney and her range of goodies, we bought ourselves some delicious pork and apple sausages. All this with Jersey potatoes.....small and odd shaped which are famous here.......roast vegetables and a salad we thought we'd done pretty well.

Poor Richard, by the time people came and it was time to start cooking it was really rather wet and there was absolutely no overhang of eaves or anything so he just had to brave the weather.

Sarah and Claire (Daniel's wife) were a great hit with the boys playing table football....much hilarity and they were ever so skillful. It was so nice to have all the family together and able to catch up with what everyone was doing.

After lunch we went for a walk to the new house. The streets around are really pretty with lots of cherry blossom and silver birch trees and even some nature strips. It will be interesting to see when we get there on the 19th how we find our way around again. We're just learning here!

Remember how nice it is to have a quiet house when all the guests have gone? That's just how we felt. We could relax. We loved having the people but quiet at the end's nice too.



Tuesday 8th May

Richard had planned to have the week off which was really nice and today's plan was to visit Harpenden. It was a really pretty drive along small hawthorn tree lined streets....not quite, "There'll always be an England", but close.

However, on arrival at Harpenden, about six miles north of St. Albans, I knew I'd reached "This England"....one of my favourite magazines. The main street was divided by a wide median strip and lovely trees with shops in nice old buildings along both sides. Many rather classy looking shops I must say. It wasn't one of those tiny villages with thatched cottages, a church and a pub like in Midsommer Whatever but probably the next step. We had a walk around the streets at the back of the shops and all the houses we saw were large, detached places with gardens. Now I could really settle in nicely here! Not sure what the pricetag would be! There were winding, picturesque streets making their way up the hill behind the village, once again with nice gardens of connifers, rhododendrons and azaleas among other things surrounding the houses. We did see a few lots of houses built in a row together but they were not the main.

As it's only a 35 - 40 minute train ride from London, this area is becoming quite a comuter destination. It seems many people are getting a bit fed up with the London situation and looking for something a little more relaxed and manageable.

One of the things which was very noticeable was the number of pubs. Of course I know that's all over England but here they seemed to be particularly well kept and picturesque. We went into The Harpenden Arms which looked really inviting and was really nice but I must say a little disappointing in that it had a Thai restaurant and I was really looking forward to some fine English pub fare. Never mind, the ambience was perfect, carpet on the floor so there was no extraneous noise preventing conversation and a view of lawn and trees through the windows beside our table.

Soon it was time to head back in time to pick Charlie up from school.

Now, here's a warning......as we take lots of fishoil capsules every day, I decided the large cannister they come in would take up too much room in the case so we'd take a few to be going on with and buy more on arrival. Well.....easier said than done. Everywhere we looked they were SO expensive and I just couldn't bring myself to pay the asked price.........where's the local Priceline? Richard knew a place where we should have been able to get a reasonable price....so that's where we headed. Sure enough we found a really good deal happening ....buy one bottle and the second one for a penny! At last, a deal I could cope with.......now on to get Charlie.......and before long, Jack.



Wednesday 9th May

Today was the day we were to visit Jack and Pam Ramsbottom, Donna's parents. They're such a lovely couple and we really enjoy spending time with them. The drive took only about thirty minutes and as they get more familiar with it, the time might reduce even further. Along the way we went through what Richard called "the mother of all round-a-bouts". The diagram on the street sign looked rather like the cogs in a gear system with a circle in the middle and about five around the edge with roads going off each of these.

It was lovely to be in their house again and as Pam said..it hardly seems any time at all since we were there...actually five years. She said she could hardly believe she would ever have Donna and her family living in England and it's a real joy for them. I really take my hat off to these elderley people who live up so many flights of stairs with only one room to a floor....reminds me of when we lived in Jakarta and I thought we lived in a doll's house but I wasn't 85! Donna managed to take lots of photos so I'm sure she'll be playing with them and hopefully enhancing them later in her spare time.

Getting back in time for Jack was quite something. The tiny, narrow roads and after school traffic was a bit of a problem and he was last to be picked up but I don't think it was too bad. We think we have traffic problems but I can't imagine the talk back radio comments if people were forced to put up with that every day. Actually, I guess some of the roads in Sydney could almost compare.



Thursday 10th May

This was to be another very busy day for Richard and Donna as they had all their paint and tools for the job to choose , so they went off with the boys. We actually rather like these days because we get to shower in their en suite. It's bliss.

With such bad weather, there's quite a lot needed just to keep the washing coming and going. Nothing can go outside and there is an airing cupboard but most of the rest has to be on clothes horses. Ducted heating is wonderful for this purpose but unfortunately, this is not a preferred method of heating over here. However, we did our best with the dishes and clothes and after a cup of well earned coffee set off for the bus to town. Actually, the weather was a little milder today and I was able to leave off a couple of layers plus hat, scarf and gloves.

In town we decided to go in another direction and follow a small walk in the visitor's guide. The first thing we were looking for were the Pemberton Almshouses but they seemed rather ellusive. We walked up and down looking for the right place to no avail and then I spied the friendly neighbourhood traffic inspector standing looking for something suspicious. I asked him for help which he was unable to give but when he heard we were Australian he became ever so chatty. Talked about going to Australia and wanting to see the Sydney Opera House and the SCG. We immediately told him he'd need to include the MCG in his travel destinations and let him know where the really famous cricket ground was. After a while we went on our way and soon found the almshouses which had the most amazing history. In the 1620s, Roger Pemberton accidentally killed a woman with his bow and arrow. In 1627, as an atonement, he built the almshouses where six poor people could live. There was a steel arrow head above the gateway.

We walked through St. Peter's church yard where we wouldn't go to church because the grounds were quite extensive and Russell likes to avoid lawn mowing rosters these days. In the graveyard here, is Robert Runcie's (ex Archbishop of Canterbury) grave but we didn't go searching as the weather was caving in and we were hoping to make it to the shelter of the museum without putting the umbrellas up.

The Museum of St. Alban was quite a small affair but very well set out and most informative. We learned a little more about the history of the city and Jack really wants me to tell you the story of St. Alban. Alban was friendly with a monk who was in danger from the Romans, as were all Christians. At one particular point, they changed clothes because Alban, who had become a Christian, knew the monk had lots of good work to do. Therefore, Alban was captured by the Romans and taken to the high ground and was beheaded. Legend has it that the eyeballs of the executioner fell out at this point. You can imagine what a great story this is for small boys. Many of the paintings show the eyeballs half way to the ground!

Another thing we discovered was some really interesting history. There was a painting on the wall depicting one of the battles in the Wars of the Roses and beside it the explanation. One of the battles in the wars was fought in St. Albans. The story was that the white army (York, I think) came up one street and the red army (Lancaster, I think) came up another and they met at what is now the round about, right in town, which we know so well. It is also mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry 2nd (I think)....so that was interesting.

Then we discovered that in Dickens' "Bleak House" there is mention of brickfields and this was referring to the brickfields at Bernard's Heath. Bernard's Heath is the name of the school where Jack goes, so that's a local interest in literature as well.

When we went up to the next floor, imagine my surprise when the first thing I saw was a Thor washing machine just like we had when I was a girl with the dishwashing interchange. This floor was mainly a collection of oldfashioned things from the last hundred or so years.......no....I'm not that old but with our bedroom on the second floor and our bathroom on the first, there are times when I feel like it.

Sorry....have added in the literary bit ....two paragraphs up which you might be interested to read.

It was raining quite heavily when we went out so we plodded to the taxi rank and not to the Municipal Gardens as planned.



Friday 11th May

This was the day Richard and Donna were to receive the keys for the new house but there were major hiccups and everything was fraught with stress. Eventually, latish in the afternoon, all was sorted and they got the key then collected the boys from school and headed to the house.

The biggest problem for me was that because I spend half the day running up and down to the loft (2nd floor) where our bedroom is, bending over a front loader washing machine.....who'd have one? etc. etc. All this meant that my back gradually became so painful that by Friday I could hardly move and so spent the morning on the couch. Russell even did the shopping really well so that I could make soup later in the day.

Late in the day we all went around to the house and the boys had great pleasure in showing us their bedroom etc. I can see why Donna was worried that the bed wouldn't fit in our room but I think it will be OK. We can take a running jump from the doorway! At least there's a little cupboard where we can put some of our clothes and things.

After dinner Richard and Russell went back to the house and began the preparation for painting to begin in the morning. Washing the walls etc with sugar soap and sanding. Plus a lot of talking which they called “Project Management”. It was midnight or later by the time they arrived home.



Saturday 12th May.

Thankfully my back was much better and I was able to achieve most of the tasks I'd been set. Washing, minding the boys and shopping. We managed to loose Charlie in the supermarket which was quite a stressful time but eventually we were re-united by some very kind and sweet staff members.

On the way home I decided we could go along a path near the supermarket which pointed to a nature reserve and I thought would serve to give the boys an interesting activity. We set off and were able to find all sorts of interesting things along the way. We checked under chins to see who liked butter the best, even though we were using dandelions! There were also some bluebells and various other wild flowers. Some dear little birds flitting about finding insects in a tree. There were various groups of people coming towards us with dogs, on scooters, or just plain walking but eventually I decided we had no idea how far away the nature reserve was so we should turn back. More of the same on the way back and everyone was totally happy for which I was really thankful.

Soon the others came home for lunch and we heard about the painting that was taking place around at the new house.



Sunday 13th May - Stuart's Birthday...Mothers' Day.

Richard arranged for a taxi to pick us up at 9am to take us to Stanstead Airport for our 11.10 flight to Jersey. It only took about 35 minutes so as it was nearing 10.00 ….coffee time.....we had time which always helps the travelling especially on these short journeys where nothing is provided. Yes...I know... you'd think we never stopped eating and drinking!

Flying over southern England it was interesting to see the myriad canola paddocks creating a brilliance in the pretty patchwork below.

Upon landing we hired a car and pretty soon discovered we were totally under a misapprehension about the road system on this little island! It was a bit tricky getting to the hotel but we managed .

And after checking in etc we needed to find some food as it was 2pm.

Well.....not so easy......pretty much everything shuts on Jersey on Sundays. As it's known as a holiday island, this hadn't crossed our minds! However, we were directed into town, not far away and for the first time but certainly not the last we were very thankful to have chosen the hotel we did because the position was very practical, only a five minute walk from the centre. We found Le Petit Baguette and were able to get quite a sufficient lunch as we watched the quiet world go by. It was definitely Sunday. One of the really good things about this was that, with so few people and cars, Russell was able to take really good pictures of the buildings, one of the most interesting being the market. We couldn't find Royal Square which we often saw in Bergerac.....hopefully another day.

We went back to to the hotel to collect the car and go for a drive. We managed to find a road heading north which was our aim but from then on it was hard work. The roads were named in French but the map only had numbers....awkward.....no... very stressful!! We passed Gerald Durrell's zoo from “My Family and Other Animals” but we didn't really have time to call in. We were looking for Trinity village which remained elusive and eventually headed south and back to St. Helliers.

We were going to Donna's sister Liz's place for dinner and the whole family was going so we wanted to be in plenty of time to be collected by her. We met the family at the wedding and got on well so were looking forward to catching up.

Liz's husband, Andrew was at a dress rehearsal for the G&S production of “The Yeoman of the Guard” so we were not to wait for him. Clara, Peter and Hannah were so friendly and chatty as we sat in a lovely sunroom, so nice after the cold weather. We were treated to roast lamb with all the trimmings followed by a delicious raspberry carflouti. Of course a nice red to go with the main course. We heard all about the production when Andrew arrived and would have liked to be there later in the month to see it all happen. Liz drove us home with the promise to pick us up the next morning for a guided tour.



Monday 14th May

Our room overlooked the garden and pool which was far too cool but we discovered a warm indoor pool which we duly sampled first thing. Nice and warm but with several German women standing and taking up lots of space, my only option was to swim laps around the pool. That worked but it was a bit exhausting as you don't get to the other end to kick off again. Russell did a few things in the gym, then a spa and then the pool. Next breakfast also with a window seat overlooking the garden.

Yes, Liz arrived right on cue and we set off for St Aubin's Bay also on e south coast. This is where we were able to visit The Old Court House Restaurant which in Bergerac was Diamante Lil's pub, The Royal Barge. As we were interested, we were given quite a guided tour by the staff and found it most interesting and very old, built for security with slit windows for firing arrows and walls a couple of feet thick.

Sitting outside, which we could as the morning was reasonably still, we overlooked the harbour with the tide WAY out and a fort just over the water. Lots of forts here to keep the pesky French away.

After our necessary morning refreshment.....coffee etc that is, we went for a walk around the hilly, cobbled streets of St. Aubin. What a pretty little village with everyone trying their best to beautify their houses and apartments with pots and window boxes of flowers. Pansies seem to be one of the favourites.

Then it was off to St. Brelade's Bay, about the next bay to the west, a place Liz remembered coming as a teenager camping with the family. She said the foreshore hadn't changed a bit. We walked around to a 13th century church which we could see across the bay and beside it, a Fishermen's Chapel. Avery small chapel with the remnants of some really interesting frescoes of bible stories which were about to be restores. In the church it was lovely to hear playing, an instrumental version of Light of the World. It's so nice to enter these buildings and hear a familiar piece of music and be able to remember places we've enjoyed singing it.

One of the most interesting things we saw was Le Perquage, a Sanctuary path leading from the church yard to down a rocky slope to a little bay. Apparently in the early days....very early, I'd say, a felon could be given the opportunity to get to the path, and then the bay where a boat would take him to France. Once on the path he was safe.

Another point of interest was one of the gravestones. Liz told us that one of her mother's ancestors was buried there. It seems the love of Jersey goes back a long way in the Ramsbottom family.

We walked back right around the bay on the sand.......as the tide was out we could get to a hard base easily....and found a cafe with a table in the window just waiting for us. Courgette and cheese soup was just the thing before a walk back to the car. We dropped Liz back at her place and found our way without any trouble, back to the hotel.

Then it was time to make for Elizabeth Castle which we'd been eyeing off for some time. However, as it was on our way we decided to look for Royal Square, another place we'd seen featured in Bergerac and wanted to find. The plane trees had been pruned so and were only beginning to come into leaf again but in the summer, they would be a really delightful and I'm sure necessary, adjunct to the square.

When the tide is out you can walk across the causeway but by this time the tide was coming in so we decided the duck would be just right. It was quite an unusual experience, driving down the slipway and across the sand and soon becoming aware that the engine noise changed and we'd turned into a boat crossing the water.

Once again, it was freezing out on the rocky outcrop with the wind blowing across the water not giving us much respite. However, it was quite fun to walk around the fortress which was heavily fortified with cannons and gun emplacements....Russell loved all these, so once again, lots of photos of armaments! Plenty of climbing ancient stairs til eventually we reached the top and Russell could be photographed holding up the flagpole with some triumph.

A most amusing thing was that on the way back in the duck, they played the theme tune from Bergerac...really brought a smile to our faces!

When you're on holiday, it's easy to pack lots into a day.



Tuesday 15th May

Russell decided not to go to the pool but I'm always keen for a swim to start the day.

The first thing we did was find the Jersey Archive which was in our street , remarkably. We'd seen the sign but not the building......hadn't gone far enough! It was an amazing building and once inside we found the man very helpful. We were looking to help Audine trace some of her family. The hours were a little prohibitive for us and we could only spend 10 minutes there but never the less...we were on the trail. At least we can advise Audine that for 20 pounds an hour they'll do work for you.

We met Carolyn Hunter at 10 am in the foyer of the hotel. Carolyn was a friend from Jakarta who now lives in Queensland. How extraordinary that she was on Jersey at the same time visiting her daughter for her grand son's 3rd birthday.

We'd decided to go to Gorey to start with. It was a pretty little port village and once again the tide was out and it was fearfully cold. At one point Carolyn and I were nearly blown off our feet and that's not an exageration.

We found the path to the castle and began our climb....there were lots of steps. The building of the fortress began in the 13th century and by the 16th was a full fort , castle and home to the governor. There were some pretty little gardens at various levels on the way up and then some amazing views up and down the coast to Elizabeth Castle....yesterday's feat!!

After the massive effort climbing up and down narrow, circular staircases as well as more liberally sized ones, we found a cafe in a little walled garden which was beautifully sheltered to the extent that Russell added some more sun burn to his already reddened face. We had a good catch up and heard about Don's illness and death. So sad. Don was probably the vice president of the Barbie factory in Jakarta so some of you will have met him.

It was then on to St. Catherine's Bay and arvo tea in a most siuitable glass tea room. We just beat several busloads of tourists which was a blessing and having finished, we just beat more people to the loos. These were worth a visit in thenselves. The wash basin was a three in one. When you put your hands in the "cave", first came a soap squirt, then a warm water shower and finally, the dryer.....fantastic!

Time for yet another bay...Rozel, right near the top righthand corner of the island. This was such a quaint little fishing village with tiny cottages right on the path to the jetty. They were all painted different colours and looked so cute and smart. Can that work?

When we delivered Carolyn back to her daughter, we got a recommendation for a good seafood restaurant.....it certainly was. Elspeth suggested the Atlantique Seafood Restaurant and drove off calling out..."in the Cow Square". Their photo is somewhere here. We were delighted with our whole, crispy, grilled fish.



Wednesday 16th May

Time to return to England but this time we were aboard a plane to Guernsey. Well, it was a kind of plane. It was only a 14 seater and started off rather like a racing car. We'd each boarded thro our own door....well...couples......and the captain was right there with us. Russell felt reassured as he was probably in his 50s so should be experienced! Driving....yes, driving around the runways, it was rtather like being in a fast car and then when we took off the noise was horrendous. Thankfully it was onlt a 15 minute flight so I was able to keep my fingers in my ears the whole time! The view of Jersey from the air was so pretty, all the little paddocks with crops and livestock and then the beaches and bays....on a sunny day looked just beautiful.

We had a couple of hours wait at the Guernsey Airport which gave us some morning tea time and then as I'd spied a shop, some browsing and buying time! Of course I managed to find a few bits and pieces I just couldn't leave without.

The flight to Stanstead once again showed us the incredible number of canola crops. All sorts of odd shaped paddocks with immaculately spaced plough lines, only achievable with the aid of computers and absolutely aglow with brilliant yellow flowers.

The boys were very pleased to find us at home again. They're really enjoying having us there.



Thursday 17th May

Basically a home day.

Richard was back at work and Russell and Donna went around to the house to do more painting after lunch. On the way home from collecting him at lunchtime, Donna asked him what he'd like to eat. He ummed and ahed for a while and then decided on a "fiddle of food"! This was pretty cute and when Donna asked what that might be, he said it was just fiddling around and getting some food ready!

After lunch, Charlie and I went to do some shopping and on the way home, my fingers slowly changed from pink to purple to almost black carrying the shopping bags as he checked out all the taps in the window of the bathroom supplies place. How they turned on and off, hot, cold and where the water came out ....not always straight forward.

We decided to do some more sewing and Charlie almost completed a "moving to a newhouse" bag. Jack wants to do one too.

While we were doing some of our "stuff", Charlie had gone off doing something he'd been told not to do. After asking him several times to stop and come back to the table, Jack said, "He's bored with what you're saying, Grandma". My reply.....Oh, I'm just a boring person. Immediately Jack looked at me shocked and shot bacK, "You're not boring, Grandma, no one who brings us sewing and teaches us is boring". What a darling child.



Friday 18th May

The children were both at school for the whole day today so it was a good chance to get quite a bit done. Donna was painting upstairs, Russell was painting downstairs and I was ironing curtains ready to hang. I turned to speak to Russell and the next thing I knew I was flat on my face on the floor having caught my foot in the iron cord. My knee was hurting, my face was hurting and the ironing board was across my legs with the iron leaning on one!! That was absolutely no fun but I decided that as my teeth hadn't broken, only partially cut my lip and no bones were broken, my bone density must be pretty good and calcium intake working!! Had the shakes for a bit but soon came good. No time to waste!

The packing men were at the house so when I returned with the boys after school it was almost empty and there was very little to do. Stones from the front garden were quite a help for Jack as we worked our way through the two times table and from then on it was basically TV.



Saturday 19th May - MOVING DAY

With packers on the job by 8.30 we had to be ready to get out of their way not long after that. We took the boys into town on the bus which in itself was quite a little outing and thought we'd better get on with our mission of buying a birthday present for Jack to take to a party on Sunday. After much searching (on my part) we decided on sea monkeys …...hope they're a hit!

We'd definitely earned our coffee by this time so we headed for the old converted town hall for a bit of strengthening. We were directed there because we could get gluten free food for the boys...that's always foremost in our mind and a cause of some angst when minding the boys. We can't just hand over any treat, we're always looking for gluten free, dairy free.

As the sun had come out and there was time we went looking for the municipal gardens which were in the guide book. What a pretty little oasis. Plenty of seats for grand parents to use and lots of flower beds to explore and talk about names etc. Very nice and relaxing most of the time! I'm sure they're used a lot at lunch times during the week and I'm so pleased we had the opportunity to see them as it rained the first time it was on our agenda.

Taxi home to the new house and the boys were really pleased to see how things were going. The boxes were nearly ceiling high and the furniture was in so.........

We'd both worked pretty hard and were really looking forward to meeting some friends from Jakarta days, Steph and Mike Wilkinson and their daughter Emma. We caught the train to London and arrived at Hyde Park Corner right on time. We were
Jersey CrossJersey CrossJersey Cross

Typical of many roadside crosses.
to visit Apsley House, the home of the Duke of Wellington and built for the first duke. In those days, his address was No 1, London. Not bad eh? The part of the house we were allowed into was an interesting museum containing lot of magnificent dinner services and silverware. I was trying to imagine having a dinner party with all that elegance. When we saw a dining table set for a banquet I said to Steph that you'd want to be happy with the person sitting beside you because there'd be little other than a flutter of the eyelids to anyone else. The table was really wide and the huge silver centrepiece as well as all the glassware and other necessities made sure there were boundaries!

There were also quite lot of swords and marble statues brought home as trophies of war etc. Russell of course was really interested in these more masculine exhibits. The paintings on the walls were legion. Lots of portraits and Flemish and Dutch masters but nothing I was really breaking my neck to bring home.

Then came a really great add on. We were able to climb up to the top of the Arch to survey the surrounds, Hyde Park, The Mall, other gateways and the Australian war memorial opened by John Howard a few years ago as I remember. It's a really amazing wall including the name of every town or suburb in Australia where soldiers came from to fight in the First or Second World Wars. Then made from these words using slightly thicker lines were written the theatres of war. These could only be seen from an angle. Hence we saw places like Wharoonga (suburb of Sydney) and Kokoda Track as a theatre.. These suburbs were totally random so it was amazing to find somewhere we recognised. The theatres were in much larger letters made from the small ones and so were easy to find, even from the top of the arch.

Now I must tell you something cute but also amazing. In the morning on the way home from town with the boys in a taxi, we went through the roundabout where one of the battles of the Wars of the Roses was fought. I was explaining all this to Jack who said he thought all battles were on grass fields. This probably was once! He asked why they were fighting and Grandpa told him it was all about people wanting to be in power. His reply.......”Why can't they just ask politely?” so sweet.

Well imagine my delight when looking at the postcards of the arch with horses and an angel on top to discover it was The Angel of Peace over War Horses. I just had to buy one to take home to Jack. We also found a really great sticker book of London, so I'll work with the boys to place the stickers in their correct positions with interesting facts at each spot. They love all these things and I love doing it with them.

Time for an arvo tea break and across the road was just the place. Then after a good chat and catch up we caught a bus to Fortnum and Masons. We plan to go there with Russell's sister, Helen in our last week but this was just looking not the fancy tea. On the way along the street we passed the Royal Academy where Steph has entered two paintings for a summer exhibition. She hopes they'll be accepted. what a beautiful building , especially with all the paintwork and gilding done up for the Jubilee. It's also where Ceridwen Spark went to deliver a paper a couple of years ago and Ray went to hear her. This was about women in New Guinea. So...twice in one day we were reminded of the Sparks with the war memorial and New Guinea.

We were pleased to have had a break during the afternoon. There was still such a lot to do and every now and again you need a bit of a re-charge.

When we got home I think Richard and Donna were really pleased to see some people who could amuse the children for a bit longer. Although there was a lot more room for the boys and some of their old favourites to play with, they needed some adult input as well. Apparently Jack had wanted to play with the plane and of course managed to put it over the fence on the first throw. They said his face just showed total shock as the plane disappeared next door into the ducks or geese or whatever those noisy birds were. Disappointingly there was nobody at home so the plane had to stay missing until there was. The boys will have to get used to a narrow back garden.

We had some delicious pork sausages done on the bbq for dinner sitting at the new outdoor setting. England sure does good pork sausages....we even had some with apple.



Sunday 20th May

There was plenty of stuff to do with emptying boxes, collapsing them and general tidying up after the workers.

Jack was going to a party at a pool in Harpenden and Donna thought I'd be just right for the responsible parent so that she could continue the work at home. I was more than happy to do this as I enjoyed meeting Jack's friends, their parents and even grandmothers. It all helps when we're normally so far away. It was good to see how well Jack dealt with his gluten free diet in this sort of situation. He really is very responsible about it.



Monday 21st May

Richard had managed to catch the cold which had been going around and was so unwell he needed to go back to bed and have a quieter day. Not sure that it really was a whole lot quieter but
Seamen's ChapelSeamen's ChapelSeamen's Chapel

St Brelarde's Bay
at least he wouldn't be sneezing all over everyone in the office.

He and Russell set about more trips to Homebase...England's answer to Bunnings .....including buying a plastic, electric mower.....and more handyman jobs around the place.

As it was still a day or so before the internet would be installed at the house, Russell and I decided to go to town to the old town hall which had been rejuvenated as a coffee shop with internet access. Once again we found a nice table in the window. Caught up on a few emails but also did a bit of work on the blog. Choosing photos and sorting things out. After that, Russell went home and I stayed on to do some shopping. Eventually I found a pair of summer pants I liked and a couple of tee shirts....only because the second one was ever so cheap. Also looked at some sandals and whilst sitting waiting for them to arrive from the store room...all done over radio mikes by the sales person......I noticed a very nice handbag just in my line of sight. It was just the same colour as my shoes and just the shape and size I was interested in.....so......yes, I got sandals and the handbag. Had a bit of trouble finding the right things for the children but managed a jacket for Jake. Will need to look further.



Tuesday 22nd May

The weather was starting to improve which was really nice. I always remember Russell's father saying that there was usually a nice week in May and that was summer.....maybe he was right!

We'd decided with some encouraging from Richard to go somewhere for the day, especially since we had a train ticket to anywhere. We decided on Oxford. I'd spent some time there with Alastair when we went over for Richard and Donna's wedding but Russell hadn't seen it. There are so many programmes on tv shot around Oxford that I thought it would be nice for him to put a few buildings into place and context and then be able to recognise them when we see them. Morse, Lewis and Silk all shoot around Oxford.

As we came out of the station there was a Hop on Hop off bus waiting right there and thankfully there were two seats left upstairs, just for us. You have to be right on the ball to pick up all the history and stories but we did our best. One of the really interesting things was to hear about the students doing exams. They must wear an exam uniform of white shirts and black skirts or trousers with a short black gown with interesting flaps at the side. Those people finishing their final exams were met outside the exam building by friends with flowers, garlands and other congratulatory bits and pieces.

We didn't quite do the whole circuit but found a good hop off spot near the centre of town. It was really pretty warm and Russell had worn his leather jacket because the morning was pretty cool. Thankfully I'd worn several layers which could be shed...and were....keeping me rather more comfortable up on the top of that bus. We certainly didn't need an outside lunch but found a nice, cool looking place and found some exam students in there so felt it was "real Oxford". The grilled Cornish sardines on tabouleh were just the ticket with a cool drink. Russell's enjoying all the local beers. Then off to the Tourist Info for a decent sized map and a few bits before setting off to find the most important landmarks. That was lots of hot walking and climbing but we thought all worth it. It's so amazing to gaze at the "Dreaming Spires" and see the most interesting buildings, colleges etc. What history. And all those bikes! It was good that the starting point of the bus was the station so it took us back to where we needed to be....perfect......and then the long trip home.



Wednesday 23rd May

Time to head off to Birmingham for lunch and later to Cardiff. It was such a nice journey from St. Albans to Watford along a treelined railway line and through several pretty villages.

The train from Watford to Birmingham was a real eye opener. When we got into the 1st Class carriage I turned and said to Russell that I thought we'd got into a buffet car, only to be told no, 1st Class was all like this. Wow! No sooner had we sat down than we were offered coffee, tea and juice and a few minutes along came bacon rolls. Now this was really something....we were just ready for morning tea.

We were met at Birmingham station by Carolyn Blyth and her husband Charles. I went to kindergarten with Carolyn and then we met up again at KTC. We usually see each other when she comes to Australia and I had visited her in 1988.

It was such a beautiful day that we were treated to pre lunch drinks in the pretty garden with lovely spring flowers coming out and lots of rhododendrons beginning to bloom around the fences.

It was nice to spend some time with Charles who had been a physics researcher at Birmingham University and it's always good to catch up with Carolyn. They live in a really nice part of Birmingham which is not something we really hear about. It was also interesting to drive past Edgebaston Cricket Ground. It's had a real facelift and the front and entrance looks very good now.

We were driven back to the station to catch the train to Cardiff. We only just made it as they changed the platform when we were all waiting patiently. This was quite a hike with a heavy case to a place we knew not where....up and down those wretched stairs only to be told to hurry up. All right for some! Now this must have been the worst 1st Class train in the country.....a freezing dogbox cabin and that was it. Not even a food cart and it was a 6.30 train. They said it was too late.

By now I was beginning to get a rather sore leg and the cold didn't help. It took a while for me to realise it had come from climbing that little circular staircase of 99 steps up the clock tower in Oxford to see the view from the top and I was thinking sciatica ...oh no!

Nicola Crews, yet another Jakarta friend, met us at the station in Cardiff and took us home to her place and the lovely, peaceful bedroom which was just what we needed. Also staying with Nicola, who works for the RNIB, was a Vietnamese Nun who also works with blind people in Vietnam. She was working with Nicola to learn about courses for training their people to get employment at which Nicola's programmes have proved so successful. Nga had done the cooking and had produced a delicious dinner of Vietnamese pork and fried rice. Most welcome!



Thursday 24th May

Tom and Elizabeth Bennett who were also Jakarta friends, were planning to drive over from Whiltshire but before they arrived there was time for a trip to Caerphilly a small market town over the mountain. Caerphilly had a castle which on first impact was rather odd as it appeared at eye level as we came down the hill and around the bend. Of course once we were down in the town and walking to the castle, it was definitely up. It also had a mote, in fact two, an outer and an inner, which made it a bit different from any we'd seen so far. We had a walk around the castle which was pretty painful with my leg but I wouldn't have missed it. There were lots of ducks and ducklings which were rather messy so we had to be very careful where we put our feet.

We bought some Welsh cakes on the way back to the car and these were delicious when the Bennetts arrived in Tom's Morgan. They must have been freezing after that long trip in an open car.

We squashed into Nicola's car and drove to Cardiff Bay which was a little bit like a cross between Southbank and Docklands in Melbourne, perhaps a little wider but not Sydney Harbour. There were ferries and tiny toot toot tugs which gave tourist trips around the tiny harbour.

There were lots of interesting buildings around the bay,too but we needed to find some lunch before long walks. This we did in the most perfect setting. We walked through an old pub with lots of dark wood, up a wide staircase and out onto a balcony where there was a table just waiting for us. When the men placed the orders they were told there was a half hour wait but we didn't mind, plenty of catching up to do. I'd decided that fish and chips would be just the ticket, it was! The sun was blazing out of a clear blue sky so I was pleased I'd brought some sun screen and had my hat on. Russell and I both doused ourselves but the tought English decided they'd enjoy the sun. Nicola went pretty red but assured us she'd be brown by the morning. Tom was wishing he'd brought his hat. Russell even managed to add to his already marginally burned face but thankfully I was OK.

After lunch we set off across the top of the bay and our first stop was the parliament building. A modern building with the chamber in a full circle. When the building was finished, the NSW Government gave them a gold mace....nobody really knew why.....but it was made in Melbourne. That's obviously the place for gold. We were given a bit of a tour and a talk so that gave me time to sit in the gallery and give my leg some relief.

We walked on to a converted Norwegian Church where we had teas and coffees. A very pretty little church with an outlook back across the bay so we could see it from both directions.

Back to the car and on to look at the Barrage. This was the system of locks to get the boats in and out of the bay. There were four boats waiting to get in and my goodness what a drop it height they had to attain. We learned later that it was a 39 foot tide. It didn't take very long for the water to fill the space and raise the boats to the required level. They sailed through into the bay and then those boats waiting on the bay side came through on the way out. Amazing.

When Nga came home she found me with my leg up over the end of the couch and offerred to give it a massage. How good are those Asians when it comes to massage. She was a little shocked when she felt what was going on inside but it was nice for me even if not long lasting.



Friday 25th May

Nicola had to work til early afternoon but there was plenty for us to do. We caught the local bus to town and from the window at one stage I noticed a street called Pen Y Brin Way....it reminded me a street in Launceston called Pen Y Brin Place....hadn't thought of it for years. As we later discovered Pen meant end, maybe these were dead end streets! Then we transferred to another Hop on Hop off bus which was waiting beside Cardiff Castle not far from where we alighted from the local bus. Not knowing when it was due to leave I felt we needed to hurry and with Russell taking photos I tried my best to run, ouch! waving as I went to try to hold the bus. When I got there the guide said there was no hurry, eight minutes to go! Oh well! This time I decided to stay downstairs but Russell went up to get a good view. Mine was pretty good and there weren't many people.

Russell thought the guide said the first settlement in Cardiff was 6,000 BC.....I thought 600 so I'm not sure and I haven't googled it yet! Anyway....it's old and was once a Roman City. We also saw where Shirley Bassey grew up, near the port. Hearing about her a bit at the moment because of the Jubilee Concert where she's singing for the Queen. It used to be a huge port with all that coal going out but now there is no coal mining and it's imported from Poland and Russia. Much of the port area, as in other places around the world, has been re-developed and now there are a lot of high priced residential buildings. People like water views but with that massive tidal differential, there's a lot of time when there's not much water! Not sure that I knew that Scott of the Antarctic left from Cardiff Harbour but we saw the pier he left from and whilst we were still away we saw something about it on tv and were quite excited that we'd just seen it.

When we got back to town we hopped off the bus and found a place to eat. Unfortunately we chose somewhere too soon with VERY ordinary food and afterwards found, just around the corner, some great looking coffee shops and cafes. Too bad!As we sat and ate, we noticed the barriers up the middle of the street ready for the arrival of the Olympic Torch later in the day. Russell was astounded at the expense of these plastic barricades as they each had Olympic athletes and writing on them. I felt they'd be sold off at the end and plenty of people would buy them.

Once again heading for the info centre we also found an interactive museum of The Cardiff Story. We could sit in one place and press buttons and see lots. Just what we needed. Nicola rang just as we were leaving and arranged a meeting place for 10 minutes later. As we walked we found the really nicest part of Cardiff with several arcades which looked very similar to those really beautiful ones in Melbourne. Next time we'll know where to start!

Nicola thought a trip out into the country to the Brecon Beacons would give us lots to see and she was right. We passed one of the poorest communities in Wales not far out of Cardiff where there'd been a big mining community which was evident from the huge slag heaps behind the town. Now there is very high unemployment in the area. We passed water storage areas and had been pleased to discover the water was so much nicer than that in St. Albans which was full of lime scale. As we climbed (in the car) into the Brecon Beacons it was the type of countryside you often see on tv especially if there's anything going on about walking or hiking trips. Not very high mountains, in fact some more or less rolling hills but covered in snow in the winter when the sheep need to be brought down, probably even into barns.

There was a nice tourist centre where we sat in the garden and had some afternoon tea whilst taking in the view, watching the sheep on the hills and the people going for walks in the area. The highest mountains were Pen y Fan and Corn du Peaks. There were lots of "Pens" and I think Nicola said that meant end.

Back to town and Sainsbury's where we bought a nice big lasagne, a salad, a couple of bottles of red and some chocolate. Nicola rang a friend when we got home which gave this recently widowered man some male company and it was probably good for Russell to have another man to talk to as well. The evening was warm enough that we ate in the garden with me watching the thermometer on the wall and wondering at what temperature we made the transition to inside. Not too bad.



Saturday 26th May

Time to say goodbye to Wales but first Nicola had another little outing up her sleeve. She thought another trip over the mountain to Caerphilly where there was a really nice coffee shop which sold Welsh cakes....a nice finale. Unfortunately, because the Olympic Torch was going through that morning and the road over the mountain was closed. On the other hand, fortunately Nicola's mother suggested her favourite garden centre which also had a cafe. We didn't bother to wait for the torch because it was being transported in a car at that point...not so interesting. The torch had spent the night in a huge park behind the castle where they put on a big concert with fire works. Quite a community affair.

We wandered through the pot stands to the back where we ordered some morning tea and sat and once again enjoyed the sun even if still a little chilly. Wandering back we bought Nicola a plant to remember us by as it flowered, hopefully for quite a long time each year.

Next it was train time so it was back to town to the station. Thankfully this train had a cafe on board so we didn't have to starve. We've been impressed by the "quiet" cabins in some of the carriages...just the thing to get away from more noisy people. I even had to point this sign out to one of the passengers who proceded to make numerous phone calls in a loud voice. The trek home from London took us through the worst bit of Tube Line we've found and we had to use it quite a bit. Follow the pink and yellow line way out the back of the station, up steps and around narrow corridors. This time I had a brilliant idea about the trip to the airport which would also use this line. We'd get a taxi from one overground station to the next and skip the tube. Good idea.

Another thing I decided on the way home was that I'd be unable to go to watch Richard in the 10K run around some London parks he was competing in on Sunday. Standing and walking was going to be just too painful and I knew there'd be plenty of that. A shame as we were also going to meet all the Harpers after the run. To our amazement, when we got home, Richard told us he was just not well enough to run so he was pulling out. He was so disappointed as he's been training...although not in the last week or so....but he really enjoys running. In some ways I felt better that I woulkdn't be missing it but of course, disappointed for him and missing the Harpers whom we needed to notify.

Richard and Donna had been busy in our absence and the place was looking better and better. The lawns had been cut as far as the cord would reach (need to get an extension) so the back garden was better for the children to play in and a trampoline had materialised which was being assembled. We were just in time for Russell to be dragooned into helping with this task. Poor Richard was on the grass half under the equipment looking totally exhauseted doing his best to get things together. It didn't take too long to get everything up, tightened and ready for use. The boys really love trampolines and were so happy to be jumping on their own again.

Another good night for a BBQ.....it's really getting lots of use in the new garden with the new setting.



Sunday 27th May

With the run removed from the agenda it was time to get on with other tasks around the house....you know....more washing for me and Russell and Richard in the loft trying to fix the overflow valve from the hot water service which was out of kilter hence lots of water paying no arrention to the "drought". It didn't take too long to fix and then there were the excess boxes to get up that ladder into the roof space. By lunch time things were much improved. It's quite strange to have Sunday like any other day of the week and no church.

Jack had another party which just goes to show he's getting on really well in his new school.

Not sure but I think we had another BBQ just taking advantage of the good weather. I imagine it's a case of making every post a winning post....there may not be too many posts!



Monday 28th May

When Donna got back from the school run Russell had quite a list of essentials to find at Homebase. They're going to really miss the Grays after we've gone because Donna's getting rather reluctant to spend more money even if Russell says it's necessary! However, they came home with a whipper snipper which Russell felt he should give them as a gift and some other bits as well as a lovely standard lavender bush to put in a tub by the front door and some herbs for a pot near the back door. Then she discovered she needed more potting mix.....it's never ending.

Earlier in the year I'd seen on the news, the Queen, Camilla and Kate opening the refurbished afternoon tea salon in Fortnum and Masons and thought we really should go there. So....this was the day. We'd arranged to meet Russell's sister, Helen there for a nice end to the trip. Having been there with the Wilkinsons, we knew just where to go and didn't have to walk too far. It was nice to have just enough time to detour down an archade to Jermyn Street just to remind ourselves that we really were in London. We had a bit of a look around the various floors in F&M, a trip to the loos which was definitely worthwhile....very nice and then upstairs to our treat.

Helen had discovered we should book, thankfully, because as she sat waiting for us, several lots of people were turned away as they had full bookings and gradually the place filled up. It was so calming to walk into the dining room, beautifully decorated in aqua and gold. What a peaceful place and how nice to be treated with such decorum. A pianist was playing in the foyer with the music coming in through speakers.

Fortnum and Masons is known for its teas, they had dozens from which we could choose. Not being a tea drinker and liking it weak black if I have it, I asked for some help. A special one called Jubilee had been developed for the occasion and it was recommended. Absolutely perfect and I drank lots which is most unusual for me. The sandwiches, scones and cakes needed a fair bit of washing down ....I guess all those goodies made with flour.

We had two three tiered cake stands, one for Russell and me to share and a separate one for Helen as she's a vegetarian. Also three not so small jars of jam and pots of clotted cream. Just as well we had plenty of time to enjoy every mouthful.

By the time the plates were empty, there was were still a jar and a half of jam left which Helen was going to ask for as Arnold had been unable to come but the waiter was quick and offered it to us and then brought in a bag. How nice.

Arnold had thought it would be nice if we could meet him after work in the Champagne Bar at St. Pancras International Station which was really nice and suited us very well as it was the station we used to get back to St. Albans. He was sitting waiting for us when we got there and we were able to spend another very pleasant hour chatting and imbibing! The bar was right beside the Eurostar quietly sliding in and out of its berth taking people on fun weekends.

Eventually it was time to take our farewells and head home so that we wouldn't be too late for the boys. Thought we may have met Richard on the station at either end but unfortunately not.



Tuesday 29th May

Oh dear.......our last full day.

Russell was trying to make, install and paint a cover for some piping in the family room.....not as easy as he's hoped because there was no glue and he was trying to do it all with nails. Anyway, he got it to a certain stage and was even able to get it painted so that by the time Richard saw it, it looked pretty good.

I'm sure this is the worst I've ever been at sending home postcards........for various reasons.....so there was a chance here to catch up a bit. If I got them done I could take them to the post office to give them the best chance of a speedy trip! The mail seems to be a lot slower from England than from Australia. Still there will be a few people who miss out....sorry about that.

There was still some shopping I wanted to do as I was feeling a little light on with gifts and not being able to move around too quickly, things were a bit grim. So....Donna dropped me off in town after collecting Charlie. This was my last chance to collect him from school so I needed to take every opportunity.

I was able to find a few more things which would help make some parcels for little people a bit more interesting. Something for Jake, something for Jasmine, Rebecca's new baby and bits for the others. One thing I haven't seen here which Katie Hercus always likes to buy are cute, children's plasters. Finding some Ben 10, Pepper Pig and Princess ones I thought I was doing pretty well. Jack and Charlie certainly liked theirs. I dare say there will be some cuts or grazed knees in need of attention before long.

Jack was having a playdate after school and as we'd promised to take the boys for a farewell visit to the toy shop, that was going to be a bit on the latish side. Never mind. Charlie knew exactly what he wanted but Jack found it very hard to make up his mind. Eventually we came away with a Star Wars Light Sabre for Charlie and a remote control tough car for Jack. He just loves cars even showing me the big suspension under their car one day. He knows all about it. There wasn't much time to play with the new things as it was time to get ready for bed but there's always tomorrow.

I was able to get some "No more nails" whilst we were out and hopefully that would help Russell with his covering panel.



Wednesday 30th May

Time to think about packing. Once everyone was out of the house, including the cleaner who was having terrible trouble with the vacuum cleaner and even Russell was having trouble getting it going......I moved my case onto a bed in the boys' bedroom to make things a little easier. At least this time I'd discovered how to pack it and we could get it shut without any trouble at all. Wish I'd discovered the "hidden" compartment on the way over!

Russell could do his later...he always says you just have to throw everything in to go home! There were always more jobs he was trying to get done before we left. He'll sleep for a week once we get home!

Whilst Donna was out in the morning, she had to find some special dressing up clothes for Jack to wear to a special Jubilee lunch on Thursday. I think every school was having special activities and then it would be summer holidays. She came home with a red, white and blue striped tee shirt, some red shorts and a cap. As the flags she thought she's bought weren't in the bag, we decided a Union Jack paper serviette could decorate the cap well and look really good. Stitching that onto the cap was a good job for Grandma. Most of these clothes would be good for cricket at school which is a really big hit.

Last day for collecting children....I'll really miss that.

The boys had such a good time once they were home, playing with their new toys and jumping on the trampoline. They've even discovered that the tramp can be use as a bit of a cubby house as well. Charlie's very good at imaginative play but Jack a little less so. Never mind.....they don't have to do everything together.

Once it was time to go, we just had to remember the "au revoirs" to keep the boys from feeling too upset at our departure. They know this means we'll see them again soon.......well........soonish! What an amazing thing, for our last ride into London, the train came with a first class carriage.....what a nice peaceful ride. It was also a good idea I'd had to catch a taxi across town to Paddington to catch the Heathrow Express to the airport. With two people it wasn't much more expensive than two tickets on the tube and SO much more comfortable and less stressful with the
LunchLunchLunch

Nicola, Bennetts & Grays.
heavy cases.

Again I must stress how nice it was to be travelling Premium Economy with our own check in and boarding lanes and then the peace in the cabin with a little personal attention........I'm getting old and soft, I know!! Thankfully once I was sitting down, my leg didn't hurt as long as I didn't try to move. Probably not really good on a long haul flight but that was just how it had to be. At least we had our compression stockings! A film and a sleeping tablet got us to Singapore reasonably simply.

Because the plane was flying on to Melbourne, getting off to overnight in Singapore was an easy trip through immigration....almost nobody was leaving the plane. Then it was out to the taxi and the trip to the swanky, new hotel, The Marina Bay Sands. Seeing it in the distance was quite exciting. I must say that the foyer was really busy as there were lots of "non- guests" there, people just looking at this amazing phenomenon. Three huge hotel towers with what looked like a massive surf board across the top. An aerial shot of the building showed that it was actually built to look like a ship on top....not a surf board. As it had been built right on the harbour, the ship was most appropriate.

As we checked in we were told we'd been given an upgrade to a suite....what a treat. It made Donna laugh when she heard after the "cupboard" we'd been sleeping in. A porter came up to the room to introduce us to all the gadgets, the ways the curtains worked as many people broke the system apparently and also how to work the accounting system on the TV. Made for an easy and quick check out. Just as well Russell was there....I couldn't have done it on my own!

Once all that was sorted, it was time to find some food and I still wanted to have a swim in the infinity pool on the 57th floor. The restaurant was a bit of a disappointment....I called it the Rumble Bar as there were so many people milling around and it was a buffet which we didn't really need but there you are. The food was very nice and Russell was able to do some damage to the seafood bar. What's that about not swimming for an hour after a meal....too bad. The pool would be shut if we waited too long.

It was amazing the number of people up in the pool, especially young people. I got the distinct impression that one person booked into the hotel and then brought lots of friends in to enjoy the offerings. I guess that sort of thing's bound to happen with such an amazing place. The pool didn't seem to be all that clean so I wasn't keen to stay in the water for too long, I certainly wasn't keen to catch anything at this stage. I was hoping that if I returned in the morning, it would have been cleaned and most people wouldn't be up yet.

Time for a nice sleep in that luxury room.



Friday 1st June

Well, if that's the date, it's almost over.

I did return to the pool and sure enough it was really clean and far more enjoyable with fewer people. Looking out over the edge, you realise everything is much different from looking across the pool from the other side. There's more structure lower down so that you aren't really about to fall off the edge of the building after all. So many people lined up along the edge watching the view it was quite amusing. It was such a long pool so very easy to get a good bit of exercise going and I didn't really have to use my legs much.....let my arms haul me along.

Breakfast was brought to the suite on a large table which was good but they forgot you really need a chair each.....the couch was a bit low. Oh well, the food was good.

We knew the Marina Bay had a big shopping centre attached as well as an ice skating rink and even a small canal with boats on it. Beside it was a science museum which looked like a half peeled piece of fruit or a flower opening. There is certainly some most interesting architecture around Singapore....it's not all glass and concrete boxes.

Of course exploring all these places on offer was quite painful but we probably wouldn't be back so it was now or never. The museum was closed to install a Harry Potter exhibition so that was one less thing to try to do. The expensive brand name shops I must say were definitely not doing a roaring trade so I imagine one transaction must be enough to pay rent and salaries for at least a day. Obviously too much mark up! The wide, expensive malls were rather empty mid morning but by lunch time they were looking a little more as though a sale or two might be a possibility. We bought some sandwiches to take back to our room to have with coffee before we sallied forth again to reaquaint ourselves with Orchard Road and some of the shops there.

There was a metro station down near the shopping malls which would take us where we needed to go. Not too keen on all the automation around the stations but with help from locals we eventually managed to purchase tickets and negotiate our way around the system. This part of the line was really never used when we lived in Singapore as there was nothing to visit so it took a bit of extra sorting with the link line but we managed.

When thinking about it I decided that getting off at Somerset and then walking along to Orchard would cover most of the territory we wanted to see. Always good to call in at Takashimaya....a large department store and then over to Tangs for old time's sake. Singapore certainly did a good job planning the city.... I read an article about the man with so much vision once.......he certainly had it. Underpasses with arcades of shops either along them or at least at the each end linking up with the trains. It's pretty much a double layer city.

By the time we got back to the hotel and collected our luggage, it was time to head for the airport. How thankful we've been to be able to use the Qantas Lounge. Most of the time it's fairly quiet and peaceful with food and drink to hand. Some people reading but loads seemed to be tapping away at their computer.....that was me.

Soon it was onto the plane and off home.

What a lovely trip we'd had.....how thankful we should be.


Additional photos below
Photos: 81, Displayed: 81


Advertisement



Tot: 0.224s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb