Mottisfont


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire
November 26th 2010
Published: November 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Situated in the heart of Hampshire, Mottisfont Estate possesses a large acre of parklands and woodlands scattered with big farms. There is a historical property, i.e. Mottisfont Abbey and Garden, which is managed by the National Trust and is accessible by the footpath starting from Dunbridge, the nearest railway station.

The highlight of Mottisfont Estate is walled garden which houses the National Collection of old roses planted by Graham Thomas. Between June and July, a huge variety of old roses, lavenders, foxgloves, clematis, blue geraniums, and herbal plants are on display alongside the geometrically trimmed hedges, red brick wall, pergolas, obelisks, stylish white benches, fountains, and statues. Roses, scented flowers and garden furniture not only create lovely colour coordination but also provide a therapeutic atmosphere. As such, Britain’s rose lovers flock to this garden in summer. Old roses are said to provide a larger volume of aromatic scent around the sunset time, and thus, the rose garden is open till 8 o’clock in June.

The mansion features the remains of the original 13th century Augustinian priory and currently houses 20th century painting collection and a fine collection of trompe-l’oeil.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb