Twyford Night Out


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hampshire » Winchester
October 25th 2008
Published: October 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Twyford Traffic Lights Twyford Traffic Lights Twyford Traffic Lights

Not exactly Twyford, but the junction is similar in layout, with a right and left and straight on arrangement. The light was not as good as this in Twford, either. You can easily imagine the Post Office on the left.
After only 24 hours recovering from my excursion to Homebase - not worth the trip unless it's a 10% day, by the way - we decided to go under our own steam to Twyford last night. We had read several rave reviews about both the journey and the village itself. We were looking forward to crossing the the famous water meadows, gazing across to St Catherine's Hill and the awesome sweep of the Twyford Down M3 cutting, before entering the quaint little settlement of Twyford, with its celebrated Post Office by the traffic lights. The journey was a real let-down - it was dark and we saw virtually nothing. The traffic lights were impressive, but we could not linger as they were at green as we approached.

We found the restaurant quite easily and were made to feel really welcome, particularly as we had met all the other diners before. Quelle coincidence! Our hosts treated us to home-grown melon and a wonderful creamy main course which featured succulent prawns caught that morning in their garden. Great company, a good laugh all round and thanks to OJ and Bargate for their hospitality.

Travelling back across the Itchen valley at midnight is not for the faint hearted, however. Those travellers coming after us might well consider avoiding the city centre at that time of day and take the longer but easier route past Badger Farm and along Romsey Road.

Advertisement



25th October 2008

How dare you
Twyford is the most beautiful city in Europe. How can you be so flippant about this jewel in Hampshire's crown?
12th December 2008

How dare I? I'll tell you
I know others see Twyford in a different light (i.e.daylight), but as a seeker and reporter of the truth, I feel morally bound to provide the world with an honest opinion. When I was in Twyford I was not impressed- most of the village was in darkness apart from the bit lit by streetlights. There will be other bloggers who manage to see the village between sunrise and sunset, whose reactions will no doubt provide an overall, balanced picture. I did say the prawns were really good and the people were very friendly, so perhaps you would do better next time if you didn't jump to conclusions that any review of Twyford is bound to be wholly negative. And it's a bit cowardly hiding behind a clever-clever anagram monicker. I know where you live. Don't ever forget that.

Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb