Day 14 - At Sea


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 2nd 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.4393, -10.17

I could leave today's blog blank as I did very little other than relax and read. It was definitely not outdoor weather as evident by all the empty sun loungers on decks 11 & 12. At least it was not raining and the sea was nice and calm.

We had breakfast a bit later than usual as we were slow to rise this morning. Fermin was cleaning the room as we returned and so we went and did others things for half a hour whilst he finished. There was a $10 sale on the Royal Promenade which is always something of a bun fight. It take a brave soul to venture into that and so I skirt around it. I find a quiet spot outside in the Diamond Lounge which is sheltered from the cool wind coming in off the Bay of Biscay. People are now all wrapped up in fleeces and long pants rather than shorts and t-shirts like me, I refuse to accept the change in climate.

Back in the cabin I spend many hours reading my kindle, snoozing and watching some TV. Total relaxation. I glance through the cruise compass to see if there are any activities going
from Left. Me, Sue, Bloody Mary, Malcolm & Dougie.from Left. Me, Sue, Bloody Mary, Malcolm & Dougie.from Left. Me, Sue, Bloody Mary, Malcolm & Dougie.

from Left. Me, Sue, Bloody Mary, Malcolm & Dougie.
on that might take my fancy. There wasn't. I thought for a while I might start the packing process but decided to leave it to the last full day at sea and just relax as much as I could today.

Lunch was soon calling. After a full circuit of Windjammer we spy a two seat table right near the window and grab it. Fellow cruisers will understand what a coup it is to bag one of these babies on a sea day. I enjoy a beef curry which is really tasty. On some of the other Voyager Class ships (and Freedom Class) they have a section of Windjammer called Jade which specialises in Oriental and Asian Cuisine. They don't have that on here but still provide that type of cuisine which I always find delicious. Peter never, ever tries it. I think he is weird.

After lunch has gone down Peter hikes himself off to the gym. I watch a movie on my iPad. The weather outside is still pretty much the same. It brightens up a little but the cool breeze never let's up. Determined to sit out on my balcony I exchange my flip flops for trainers and cover myself up in beach towels. It's quite pleasant on the lounger whilst I read more of my Kindle. I'm reading The Thousandfold Thought by R Scott Bakker for the umpteenth time. I love the Prince of Nothing series which has now overtaken both LOTR and Game of Thrones as my fave novels.

After Peter returns we do a little retail therapy on the Royal Promenade. Being Diamond status means we can get various discounts on certain things which we like to utilise when we can. There is always some promotion on the promenade. Today it seems to be watches which always attract a lot of attention. You can make some big savings on some of the famous names like Tag Heuer or Tissot.

Tonight we have reservations at Govannis again. We wanted to fit in one last visit before the end of the cruise. It's just Peter and I tonight as Sue and Malcolm have gone to Windjammer. There is a Beatles show in the theatre tonight with performances at 7pm and 9pm. We don't go to either as the first clashes with drink time in the Imperial and we will be at dinner for the 2nd show. Apparently we missed out on a really good show. Maybe next time.

Govannis is once again excellent. I have the Filletto de Manzo for my main tonight and it's as good as any steak I've ever had on Chops Grille. We enjoy brandies in the Champagne Bar (CB) which turns out to be gay central. A few of them comment that they have not seen us all cruise. We knew very well that the CB holds a daily Friends of Dorothy group which we never attend. They seem to congregate there in the evening as well. Am not sure why that is. I suppose the CB is a little more decadent and stylish than the other bars onboard? We don't mind the company of other gay people (we do after all know a lot of gay people) and the ones we meet tonight are very nice and friendly if a little high octane...perhaps that's it? Too much drama.

There is a party on the Royal Promenade tonight called Rock Britannia celebrating all things British. It's all good fun with people singing Knees Up Mother Brown in the street. We finish off the night with some wine in the Viking Crown. The singing duo are there again and I know I must be a little drunk as I recall commentating how good they are. I was definitely saying the opposite at the start of the cruise. I must get their autographs before I get off the ship. Think they are gonna hit the big time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb