The Tower IS London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
July 5th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.5002, -0.126236

We planned to go to the Tower of London on Monday – for me, the real London experience and a real highlight! We were on the tubes fairly early, down to Tower Hill and bought tickets on the way. As soon as we arrived at the Tower, we were greeted by the Beefeaters, about to commence their tour. It was wonderful – the kids all ran to the front, to be closest to the Beefeater – Georgia and I embarrassed each other when the Beefeater caught us waving to each other "Is that your mother? Does she always embarrass you in public?" Unfortunately, Rita's hip was really hurting by this stage, and she and Dad decided to wander by themselves.

The Tower is absolutely a full day! We were there from opening, had lunch in the café, and were there as the day came to an end. Real highlights for me were the Crown Jewels, the Chapel in the White Tower, and the Execution Green – all the more moving since I have read a lot more English history since we went to the Tower for the first time in 1997. There were lots of staff in character dress to bring things even more to life for the kids. The boys loved the armoury displays and the guns, and the walks around the Tower walls were also wonderful, especially as the sun started to shine for parts of the day. But the Tower is so crowded – and the staff were saying it gets so much worse in summer! Still, it was an absolute highlight of our trip to London.

There must have been an event down at the Tower that evening, because there were dozens of very expensive cars (Lamborghinis and the like) at the exit, and the kids also liked seeing the oyster shucker down on the river esplanade, opening oysters. At the end of this very full day, we decided to fulfil another of the kids' “London wishlist”, and Rita and I and the three kids piled into a London cab home. Really, we should learn from Kelly, who insists this is the only way to travel in London! A quiet night at home for us all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb