Day 1 London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
June 13th 2017
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_6094IMG_6094IMG_6094

Kensington Gardens
After delays in Melbourne, a long flight on a very full plane to Dubai, another delay and reboarding of slightly less full flight, finally arrived at Heathrow airport. After clearing customs and collecting our luggage, we made our way to the underground which we were catching rather than the Heathrow to Paddington express. We had one old Oyster card with 0.90p on it and needed to top this up and get a second card. The machine didn't like our bankcards so we went to the service area. The young man who served us asked where we were from and gave a blank look when I said Canberra Australia. I then said it was the capital. He was surprised by this as he thought the capital was Sydney and said that is what his partner had told him and the Greek books said it was Sydney. He then said he would look it up later!

Caught train to Earls Court then transferred to Bayswater line. From here only a short walk to where I had booked accommodation through Loving Apartments. Only one minor problem, I had said we were arriving on the 11th not the 12th by mistake to technically a
IMG_6095IMG_6095IMG_6095

Kensington Gardens
no show. The man at the desk was very good and sorted everything out for us and then gave us an upgrade to a one bedroom apartment as we are staying one less night than I originally said. Only one minor problem - it was in the fourth floor and there are no lifts. A long walk up with the bags.

After a lovely shower and changed into clean clothes we walked just down the road (less than five minutes) to Kensington Park. Lots of people out and about enjoying the balmy evening. From here we went to the shops to get Andy a new backpack as his Kathmandu backpack of many, many years (around 10) has finally decided enough is enough and the zips broke. We haven't yet got one as Andy was having trouble deciding on a suitable replacement and he is not big on change.

Just down the road there was a pub boasting "The Nations Best Pies". As most people know Andy loves his pies and thought this a bold call. We checked the menu and they had lamb shank pies with mashed potato topping, chicken and mushroom, beef and ale and an open
IMG_6098IMG_6098IMG_6098

Friendly squirrel
beetroot and camembert. We didn't try them here and noted down the road another pub had the same pie.

Had some fish and chips for tea and then back to the room to crash out.

Advertisement



13th June 2017

Good to hear you arrived safely.
13th June 2017

Here's hoping the rest of your trip goes smoother enjoy and have fun
16th June 2017

Greetings
We felt exhausted for you just reading about your Day 1. Loved seeing the photos of Kensington Park...happy memories. Have a wonderful time.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb