Visiting Walrus


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 7th 2017
Published: February 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We left our quiet, rural North Yorkshire village in frozen North Yorkshire for a long weekend in the big city. Was it really true that the streets were paved in gold? The East Coast main line train whisked us down to Kings Cross station and we were soon amidst the hustle and bustle of Euston Road en route to our hotel in Russell Square. It was a bitterly cold day. After thawing out in our hotel we took a short walk to the wonderful Charles Dickens museum. The novelist lived here in a terraced house for 3 years. Rooms are laid out as in Dickens time with exhibits including portraits and furniture from his homes. A very interesting and informative place to visit.

Next day we are cruising the River Thames with City Cruises. There are a group of French students engrossed in mobile phones, social media and messing around as outstanding sights pass by - the London Eye, The Tower Bridge, The Tower of London and numerous iconic buildings. We arrive at Greenwich and spend a pleasant half day visiting the Old Royal Naval College, The Queens House and The National Maritime Museum. In the evening we meet up with Walrus (our youngest son Paul) to see the Lion King. A visual extravaganza that has been running for 10 years. a super day ending with a meal near Covent Garden.

Next day it is more culture with a visit to the British Museum. What a superb building housing so many great treasures. Highlights for us included the Egyptian Mummies, Sutton Hoo Treasure and the chess set. needing some exercise after a lunch on a narrow boat we set off from Little Venice for a pleasant walk to Camden Market. to round off another great day we ate some tapas at a Spanish restaurant near Kings Cross station. Our final day was spent near several old churches in The City (well it was Sunday). We walked through the Barbican complex, saw sections of the ancient London City wall then on to the magnificent St Pauls Cathedral. A final meal with Walrus in a Greek restaurant in Camden was very enjoyable then we were off to catch the train back up North. We didn't see any gold paving but it was good to meet Walrus and see his penthouse suite! Actually he has quite a nice apartment in a central location. We enjoyed our experience in the big city in a lively multi cultural society and the contrast between city and rural life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb