People, people everywhere....London Day 1


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 1st 2015
Published: August 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had a couple of things planned for today. We were going to see the Changing of the Guards, meet a college friend of mine and ride the London Eye.

We ate breakfast at the hotel and then we headed out the hotel doors for our first day of adventure in London.

Buckingham Palace

For the two days that we are in London there is a bike event that is called Ride London. I equate it to a 5k or 10k festival or in Tallahassee terms Springtime Tallahassee except London had about 90k participants in this event. Streets are blocked which has caused some disruption in the bus service and cab service. We chose to take the Underground. I've taken a subway a time or two we might be able to do this.

The Underground station closest to us is only about two blocks away. We loaded our Oyster Cards and headed to catch the Circle Line to the St. James Park area. When we arrived to the St. James Park stop there was plenty of signage for us to follow to the palace.

Because of the bike race we got a special treat of having the roads closed. With the roads closed it was a very easy walk to the palace.

As soon as we turned the corner you can see the Queen Victoria Memorial (the big gold statue in front of the palace). Truth be known, I didn't know what the statue was called but I have since learned.

There were people everywhere. There were tour guides with their flags, families all walking around and of course bikers riding around the perimeter of the castle admiring the view. People were sitting all around and all over the Memorial. You could tell people were starting to find their place for the Changing of the Guards.

Jeff pulled up a picture on his phone of previous ceremonies. Kelsey and I agreed me might be in the right spot. Maybe. While standing in this spot we finally got a #starlingpartyof8 picture! Yeah!

As we stood in our spot someone came by us and asked us if the changing of the guards was occurring today. I told them I thought it was. This lady then told me that there was a sign in front that said the changing was canceled due to the bike race. Ugh! What?! Sure enough the changing never happened and so we moved along to the next event.

Trafalgor Square and National Gallery

After all the selfies and group pictures we headed towards Trafalgor Square. We walked along St. James Park. It was a very nice walk. The walkways were shaded and they weren't too crowded.

St. James Park is like Tom Brown Park in Tallahassee minus the disc golf course. People just sit and hang out on the grass. It's honestly like a picture. There is a little stream. People are laying on their blankets. Kids are running around, people are picnicking and you can hear music from somewhere. We stopped and got a drink from one of the vendors in the park and took a rest on some statue.

We had sometime to kill before we met my college friend so Kelsey and I started to look in our London Pass book to see if there was anything in the area that we could do. We decided on the Big Bus tour.

We walked to Trafalgor Square and we found a vendor that sold the tickets. We were about to buy the tickets but then he told us that we could not get on the bus until after 4pm due to the bike race. Damn bike race! This bike ride is totally cramping our style!!

We took a glance at Trafalgor Square. Holy people! Where are all these folks come from?? There were people sitting around the fountain in the square, on the fountain, on steps and every other place including on a statue.

We decided to walk up to the National Gallery and take a roam around. We can look at some pictures and get on their Wi-Fi. Culture and Technology. Everyone wins.

There were street performers by the entrance of the National Gallery. These performers were a little different then the ones at the Royal Mile. These people were hovering in the air. I still haven't figured it out. Not sure if it's a big magnet or some contraption that they are holding onto. Look at the picture and let me know what you think. The kids and Kelsey bought a little ring from one of the folks bending copper wire into rings.

We then headed into the gallery. If we were cultured people I am sure we would have gotten more out of the quick tour around the first floor. The paintings are big and beautiful. It's hard for me to comprehend that these paintings date back to 12th, 13th and 14th century. There obviously we're not any cameras back then and some of these paintings looked as pretty as a picture.

I did see the Sunflowers by Van Gogh the Sunbathers painting and the Water Lily painting.

I am sure hours could be spent here but we have had a long morning and we needed to eat something and regroup.

Leichters Square

I love a map! They have free maps everywhere in London. My map is marked on here and there. Kind of like a diary of where we've been and where we are going.

When I was little my dad would take me around to these road races. He always had a road atlas in the car. He told me I was the navigator and I needed to let him know how to get to where we were going. I am pretty sure he knew exactly how to get were we were going but I followed that map like it was my job. I really do like maps a lot.

With of the handy dandy map we were able to find Leichters Square. More people and vendors and street performers. Where are these people coming from? Can we go back to Edinburgh???

We met my college friend Howard and his Fiancé Leslie at a little Mexican restaurant. It was nice to get away from people for a little bit.

Howard and I attended Troy together for a couple of years. I was in the same sorority rush class as his sister. We chatted about this and that and it was so nice catching up. It was very nice meeting Leslie too. She was very welcoming to us.

I told Howard we were only here for two days. He said, 'Olivia, trying to explore London in two days is like you showing me around Tallahassee in 45 minutes.' Well, ok, you might need an hour to your Tally. Howard is right. I would think you would need at least a week to get a good feel and your of London.

Howard and Leslie were kind enough to help us get to Harrod's and then onto the London Eye.

Harrod's

I am not much of a shopper but everyone wanted to go to Harrod's so here we go.

The place is massive and over the top. Mom, Jeff and the kids all went shopping. Alton, Kelsey and Megan went to take a quick picture in front of Parent Trap house that wasn't too far away.

Howard and Leslie treated me to a fantastic glass of wine in one of the Harrod's food courts. This isn't just any food court. Behind us was a market where you could pick out fresh lobster and other sea good. The shop to the left had a caviar bar and to the back left was a steak house.

The hustle and bustle in Harrod's doesn't stop. People keep coming in and going out. Anything you dream of could be found in Harrod's.

Mom got some Christmas ornaments and the girls got a makeup bag and some other little things. The boys didn't buy anything but enjoyed looking around.

London Eye

Our last stop of the day was a trip around the London Eye. Leslie and Howard were kind enough to take us show us the way there. In order to get there we had to walk over the Westminster Bridge.

On the bridge there are more street performers. They are playing some shell game and people are stopping and to watch. People end up taking over the sidewalk and you can't get buy. The street is very active with cars. I yelled at mom, 'act like a bike and get in the bike lane.'

Kelsey ran ahead and checked into the London Eye for us while mom and I were still walking. There were a lot of people to navigate around and there are steps everywhere! Poor Gigi.

We chose to do the Champagne London Eye experience. We get in the little egg shaped capsule and begin our journey. The gentleman served us our champagne and began telling us about all that we were seeing. People were taking pictures from everywhere.

The ride was short but nice.



We did a little shopping on our way back to the hotel and called it a night. See ya in the am London. We are going to see The Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace and go on a Siene River Cruise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



5th August 2015

Wow ! What a schedule !
You forget, Olivia, these fools in Europe spend half of their life on 'Holiday' ! You're there in the heart of their vacation season. How are we going to keep ya'll down on the farm, after you've seen London and Paris ?? Remember to leave your Mother in France, somewhere ! Roll...Tide....Roll !!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb