Our London walk-about


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 15th 2015
Published: May 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It was another perfect day for a Seattlite in London: 60 degrees and sunny. We spent most of the day walking around looking at landmarks. We ended up at the British Museum late in the day.

This morning Brendan had a solid plan by which we take the tube to the Wesminster Abbey area and go from there. Unfortunately, so did the rest of the world. When we got back up to street level after leaving the tube we stepped into a dense throng of people (aka maddening crowd). Each and every one of them had a camera or a cellphone. And each was jostling for position to take a picture of Big Ben. None the less, we had a great day. Here are a few highlights and travel tips.

- We walked all the way around the Tower of London (a large castle) that included a river walk along Thames.
- We walked through the garden at Buckingham Palace.
- We ate fish and chips.
- We saw the Rosetta Stone and a gazillion other old things too numerous to mention or really remember.
- Between the two of us we ate 8 pounds of icecream. (Well, mostly icecream. A small amount of that was cone.)
Travel Tip: If you are getting a tasty treat from a street vendor and the prices are not listed, ask about the cost before placing your order. (BTW 1 British pound = $1.54.)
- Today I learned about the joy of selfies. Here is what I was told about taking selfies:
- It's fun.
- It's perfectly normal.
- Everybody does it.
- It can make for an awkward situation if one of your friends sees you doing it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb