By Canal to Camden


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 20th 2014
Published: August 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we took a boat ride through Little Venice in West London. it is called Little Venice because there are lots of canals that were used for transporting goods around London. Nowadays the boats carry passengers, and rubbish and some people use the boats as their houses. In the olden days the boats had no motors so they were pulled along the canals by horses who walked on the canal banks. However, when the boats reached a tunnel, they had to use man power and the horses waited for the boats to come through the other side of the canal.

We got off the boat at Camden Lock Market where we ate food from South Africa and Indian wraps. The food at markets in London is delicious.

In the afternoon we went to the London Museum and took a guided tour called War, Plague and Fire. We learnt that King Charles I was beheaded in the Civil War. During the Plague people carried little bowls of nice smelling spices and herbs with them because they believed that if they could only smell nice things then they wouldn't get sick. Then, in 1666 there was a great fire in London that started in a bakery in a part of London called Pudding Lane. It was a terrible fire and two thirds of London was destroyed and needed to be rebuilt.

Then we went home and had Indian curry for dinner.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.256s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.074s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb