Day 27 - London


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 18th 2012
Published: February 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Woke up for our last day and Lauren still wasn't feeling the best so we decided to have a quiet day which worked out well as we had done everything we'd wanted to and the weather was pretty ordinary with on and off rain.

Our check out time wasn't until midday so we stayed in bed until 11am and then showered and packed. We had a few hours to kill so we took the tube back to Piccadilly Circus and then walked along Oxford Street towards Carnaby Street which is one of their famous shopping strips.

I think it's probably been overtaken by a few others now as they don't have many popular shops anymore however that didn't stop us from taking a look inside. After this we grabbed some lunch and saw it started to rain more and more. Although the rain was annoying, maybe it had come for a reason as the "occupy London" weirdos had taken over Piccadilly Circus with one of their protests so if we were getting wet, at least they were too!

We caught the tube back to Earls Court as we had nowhere else to go as most areas are outside. As I've mentioned, the tube is fantastic here and if you live in London you don't need a car however we've noticed a few things. Firstly, they have strict rules when on an escalator, if you are stationary you must stand to your right and let the people overtaking go on the left. That is something we learned the hard way on the first morning with all of our luggage. Secondly, usually at some stage on the line the train is full and quite a few people have to stand. The problem with this is that the men do not have any consideration for females, once a seat becomes vacant it's basically a rush to get it and men will push women out of the way to get there. Even if a man who is sitting sees a lady standing, he won't offer her his seat.

Anyway, we started walking back to the hotel and as Lauren stopped for a coffee, I walked into one of their betting shops to have a look. Basically it's the same as at home with plenty of guys who need a shower and plenty of people who claim they know everything about racing (I don't fall into either category).

Got our bags, arrived at Heathrow and after a short flight delay we got to Paris. As our flight was originally scheduled to land at 10pm, I had booked our first night at a hotel at the airport so we could go straight there and lucky we did that because with the delay and then waiting for shuttle bus we didn't arrive until midnight.

We plenty plenty to do here so again the next few days will be busy, I think we're going to need another holiday when we get back just to get over this one!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb