Sunday 7th August - TopDeck starts!!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
August 7th 2011
Published: August 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Photo 2Photo 2Photo 2

Leaving on the ferry, looking back on the white cliff faces
I knew we had to be up at 5.15am but we were woken before that! Our cell room had a hole in the door where people would have looked in on the prisoners (but it was covered with 2 laminated pages with information on it)... well at about 1.50am I was awoken by a bang and seeing a set of eyes staring into our room – total stranger was staring into our room (goodness knows how long he was looking in for) so Steve smacked the paper the guy had pushed through and scared him off! It gave me a rather big fright and all I saw for the rest of my sleeping time was his freaky eyes! I am just super thankful that we are not going back there again to sleep! After sleeping a tad more we were woken again by our alarm! Packed up and met in the reception area with others at 6am to sign in and have an early breakfast. On the transfer bus to get us from London to Dover the bus driver told us about a madman Polish guy who shot 12 people in London last night (after checking the Internet I don't think we believe him!). In Dover we caught the ferry over to Calais in France, only took 90 minutes. Back onto a bus again except this is our real 'TopDeck' bus. We were introduced to our coach ('It is a coach not a bus!'😉 driver and on-tour cook. Spent a few hours on the coach to Paris. The scenery is nice and green and the coach is comfortable which helps.
Our tour leader told us that the French are happy to help us if we try speak their language so it will be interesting. 'Bonjour!' and 'Sevouplay!' and something along the lines of 'Parliz Voux anglais?' which means 'Can you speak English?'... I hope that we can survive France on that little French! Haha
We all have tiny little 2 person dome tents which we were pros at setting up because we do it every summer! Steve put his hand up to offer to help put up the cook's tent because apparently they get first served with the meals... we will see how long that priviledge will last!
After we were all set up and had tea (we had yummy chicken goop and rice) we went on a 4 hour bus ride around Paris which was great because it was night so we got to see all the lights of Paris. Back at camp at about 12am and time to crash! It has been a LONG day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb