Royal Wedding in London!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
May 12th 2011
Published: May 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Royal Wedding



A while back, dad had some extra points with hyatt and very generously offered them to me for a 3 day getaway to London during the royal wedding. I invited my friend Roisin and was able to get the flight ticket for a mere 30 euro!

We got to London at about 7:30 in the morning and really didn't know what to expect. After checking into the amazing hotel, we talked to the concierge a bit about how to go about approaching the wedding for the following day. And then we set off to explore a little.

We got day passes for the tube and visited buckingham palace, westminster abbey, big ben, the london eye, the globe, and saw the london tower from the outside. We then went to this little part in a different part of the city, recommended by dad, with this outdoor market called the Borough. It was a really cool part of London with great food, drinks, and things to do right on the river. As we knew we had to get up very early the next day for the wedding, we had a nice dinner and then went to
sleep a bit early.

We decided to get up at 6:30 the next day to hopefully get a nice viewing spot for the wedding. After grabbing a coffee and muffin and jumping on the tube, we got to hyde park around 7:30 to find out that the actual procession route had been full the night before with people camping out. We were then ushered with the other early birds to take a seat in the park where they had set up a giant screen.

We took a seat in the middle front as we were fortunate enough to get there early, and pretty quickly the park became as packed as the procession route. When the royal wedding started, both Roisin and I were really grateful to be able to see the wedding in entirety instead of having to try and jump over thousands of people's heads to get a tiny glimpse of a car driving by. Instead, we got to see kate's dress the second she got out of the car, the wedding itself from the inside of westminster abbey, and even the traditional jets that flew RIGHT above us! And it was also amazing to be amongst hundreds of older crying british women sporting their hats and red white and blue belting out the national anthem. All in all it was a really cool experience that I will definitely treasure. It also really makes you realize the impact the royal family has on the locals.

After the wedding, Roisin and I grabbed a late lunch and headed back to the hotel to relax for a bit as we had been up all day. We then went back out to the Borough Market area and had a really nice italian dinner with some wine on the river to finish off the night. We tried to meet up with some friends we both have living in London but we, again, were too tired.

On our last day, we got another day pass for the tube and just decided to explore. We first went to oxford street and grabbed some shwarma for lunch, then made our way to harrods and browsed around the super expensive parts of london. Lastly, we went to another one of my favorite spots which was essentially the london china town. For the first time while abroad, Roisin and I found bubble tea, one of my absolute favorite treats in the entire world, and pretty much cried with joy. We got the largest size they had each and wandered around looking at all the shops until it was time to go back to the airport, collect our bags, and head back to Dublin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb