A London Farewell


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
December 30th 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Farewell Dinner at the White SwanFarewell Dinner at the White SwanFarewell Dinner at the White Swan

The Yankee Road Show gathered for authentic Brittish Pub food and some enjoyable revelry on our final night in Europe!

All Good Things Must End



...but memories last a lifetime!

The snows of Paris have now turned to rain as we venture out to one of the great museums in London, The Tate! This is truly an extraordinary museum and we enjoyed another great impressionist exhibit as well as Rodin’s sculptures and many other excellent works of art.

Unfortunately, we again missed the Abbey and the Tower of London. Both closed early. I don’t know if it’s the time of year or just bad timing on our part. Whatever the case, we’ll need to reserve our education in medieval life for another time.

All in all, the educational value of the trip exceeded our highest expectations. We visited an historic span from about 753 BC (the founding of Rome) through 2006, with a few gaps in the medieval period which we had hoped to fill in England.

There are far too many highlights to mention them all, but certainly studying the Roman Empire and the ruins of Pompeii were two of the most memorable. The beautiful city of Sorrento is another and we hope to return to that city sometime soon.

We pretty much wrapped up the Yankee Tour at The White Swan, a British pub in Westminster, where we sat for hours drinking English Ales, French wines, eating authentic Pub food and laughing as we reveled in the toils and excitement of the past two weeks. Marc and Joni left the pub early to visit with some friends who were also visiting London and didn’t return to our hotel until after 1:00am. I’m glad that they were able to have some fun on their last night in Europe.

It was great traveling with everyone. We comprise a pretty good road show and created a lot of fond memories to share with others in the years ahead. Fred and Joan are always interesting and fun to travel with, and Marc and Joni were great to have along.

Tomorrow it’s back to the states on Northwest Airlines. It’ll be good to touch down in the USA. There really is no place on earth quite like home!


Advertisement



6th January 2006

Awesome - Thank you
Thanks so much for sharing this! What an awesome journey! Also brought back some memories of when Dawn, Beth and I were in Italy and also fell totally in love with Sorrento! Christmas in Europe, what more could one ask for in life!
16th January 2006

January 16, 2006
Peter was nice enough to forward your blog to me. I just looked at it AGAIN! It is what family memories are made of. You will all be talking about this trip for years to come. It was nice to see you on Turkey Day.
23rd January 2006

There is no better education than the one you get thru travel. Looks as though you all thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. I'm envious!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb