ENTRY ELEVEN -- The Dark World


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Greater London
February 22nd 1987
Published: January 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

An Excerpt from the Travel Journal of H. Nigel Fox Jr. circa 1920



ENTRY ELEVEN -- The Dark World



Over the next several days, Hans and I met several times with Scotland Yard. We also had extensive meetings with the chaperon, as well as Anna's twenty-two year old friend.

"We have learned nothing!"

Hans corrected me. "You are wrong, Nigel. We have learned a great deal. I am now reasonably certain that no one in the family -- or either of Anna's travelling companions, for that matter -- had anything to do with this. I am also convinced that Anna's demise was no accident."

"How can you say that?"

"Bodies float. If she fell overboard as the Captain's report stated, she would have most definitely surfaced."

"But who would want to abduct Anna?"

Hans said firmly, "By now we can rule out extortion. Nor is it thinkable that she has run away."

"We seem to have totally eliminated every suspect and every possibility."

"I don't think so. If there has been some negligence or wrongdoing, mFundisi, who would have a motive for suppressing it?"

“The tour company?"

"Unless I am very much mistaken, they are involved."


The Tour Company




The next fortnight was spent investigating the tour company, which had its head office in London and was favoured by affluent travellers. The new company had posted increased annual profits for the past three years; its greatest challenge was acquiring expert personnel to keep pace with the extraordinary growth. Hans put together a formidable curriculum vitae and applied for a post in the company. His good looks and charm went a long way in securing a superior position. However, what turned out to be invaluable was the fact that he was fluent in English, German, and Afrikaans, as well as having the conversational basics in Dutch and French.

We were overjoyed when he was taken on by the travel firm. However, the training he was to go through was much more onerous than one could have anticipated. Coordination of food, social events, the well-being and safety of passengers were all included in his duties, and, at all times he would be expected to uphold the good name of the company. As there was little that I could do to help, I returned home to await news of his progress.


Heidi Loder




In late spring, a letter complete with business card arrived from Hans. He fully advised me of his doings and travels. There were indeed rumours of young women going missing on tours -- but in the Americas. He had a strong sense that something was being covered up. However, Hans had nothing concrete, and as far as he could determine, no other girl had ever disappeared on a Rhine Cruise, nor was there any evidence of foul play. All his hard work was to no avail.

He had become suspicious of his immediate superior, a Mister Alfred Loder. If anything improper had taken place, as co-director and principal shareholder of the company, Alfred Loder would know of it. Yet Herr Löder was a tough nut to crack: always controlled in action and speech, impervious to the 'Hoff charm'. Although he appeared pleased with Hans' performance, their relationship remained cool and businesslike.

It was on April 19, exactly six months after being taken on, that Hans experienced his first bit of good fortune. There was to be a 3:30 p.m. meeting with Alfred Loder regarding the summer program. Hans arrived fifteen minutes early, knowing the importance his superior attached to punctuality. Whilst waiting, Mister Loder's daughter, Heidi, arrived. A tall woman, at least 5 feet 10 inches and blond, she was "a perfect specimen of Nordic womanhood.” Hans did not think of her as beautiful, but rather handsome. She combined a satiny complexion with a regularity of feature, somehow managing to be both feminine and strong.

Sitting next to Hans, she smiled. My South African friend, who has never had any difficulty with the ladies, did his best to pour on the charm. They had been chatting amicably for about a quarter hour, when the office door opened. Hans graciously offered to wait until Heidi had spoken to her father.

After several minutes, the office door reopened. "Mister Hoff, my daughter and I would be pleased if you would accept our invitation to dinner this Saturday. I must apologise for not inviting such an important business associate to sup with us earlier, however my daughter has sorted me out." For the first time in their relationship, Alfred Loder showed real warmth towards his junior colleague.


Guido von List of Vienna




When Hans arrived, his hosts were sipping cocktails before dinner. After depositing his hat, gloves and trench coat with the butler (but keeping his knobkerrie in hand), Hans was led through a spectacular entrance with a multi-coloured marble floor and a grand staircase sweeping to the second level. The hall was tastefully ornamented with period pieces. Several vases were full of brightly coloured flowers, cultivated, no doubt, in the Loder's colossal conservatory.

The room in which his hosts were chatting was to the left of the entrance hall. He was introduced to Frau Ingrid Löder and Heidi's younger sister, Hermine. Heidi's mother seemed affable, but Hermine, a most ill favoured girl, stood near the hearth-rug, wringing her hands and fidgeting. This odd-looking girl reminded Hans of a ferret. She did not make eye contact, yet appeared to be studying the overall situation, eyes darting this way and that. Hans shook hands all round, exchanging pleasantries.

The drawing room was rather large, complete with grand piano. A blazing fire on the hearth of a huge marble fireplace took the chill off of the evening. On the chimneypiece sat a beautiful, wooden, carved clock, ornate in design, yet delicate: a Swiss masterpiece. Without being ostentatious, the house spoke of old wealth, power and good taste. There was a subtle Northern European flavour. By the time Hans arrived, everyone had imbibed several drinks. He smiled to himself, knowing the relaxed atmosphere would facilitate his mission.

"Mister Hoff, please do tell us a bit about South Africa," requested Heidi, encouragingly.

Hans chose his words carefully as he stared down at his knobkerrie. "Well, I may be a bit prejudiced, but I believe my homeland to be one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It has mountains, rocky coastlines, sandy beaches, and the climate to go with each. The wide-open spaces are a wonder to behold."

"London must seem very cold and mundane to you," Missus Loder commented, eyeing him curiously.

"No, not at all; London has a charm of a different sort: very Anglo-Saxon," Hans answered diplomatically, as he looked up.

A discussion centring upon the best and the worst of London was heatedly taken up by the Loder family. It was obvious that they enjoyed a good conversation. Even the timid Hermine, still standing by the hearth rug, broke out of her shyness to express an opinion: "You shall not find a finer museum than the British Museum," she stated with a trace of a lisp, looking at her father for reassurance. "I spend a great deal of my time there, and we can all learn much about our glorious heritage."

After a time, Hans excused himself in order to use the lavatory. En route he passed the door to the library. Hans had only a few moments away from his hosts. A few moments were all he needed. The Loders had a most extensive collection on the occult, containing everything from the works of Aleister Crowley to those of Guido von List of Vienna.

Hans went quickly to the magnificently appointed W.C., and then returned to the Loder family, who indicated that dinner was about to be served. He continued to charm his hosts.

At dinner he was seated beside Heidi and across from her mother. Hans asked Heidi, "Do you enjoy the theatre?"

"I most certainly do, Mister Hoff," she answered, eyes aglow.

"Would you care to accompany me to Mister Wagner's 'Parsifal' to-morrow week?" he went on.

"I am sure it would be a most inspiring evening," she replied, looking expectantly towards her father. "I beg you, Papa. Do say yes!"

Mister Loder consented, but in a fashion that communicated that he was not a person to cross. He insisted on having his chauffeur escort Hans and Heidi to and from the theatre. Dinner was also included on the agenda. Heidi seemed genuinely pleased, as was Hans. As he bade them good night, he knew that the evening had been a success.


Nietzsche




Hans, for all his investigative work, had surmised two things. First, approximately four girls between the ages of 18 and 22 had mysteriously vanished in different parts of the world while availing themselves of the services of the tour company. Secondly, one of the co-directors of the company appeared to have a most peculiar interest in Wicca, Pagan Worship and Magick. In the week leading up to his tryst with Heidi, Hans acquired several books on the occult. He became somewhat of an expert on Nietzsche, Wagner and the Thule Society. He learned of a 'blood lodge' allegedly established in England that perpetrated 'diabolical' acts as part of their beastly worship.

At exactly five o’clock in the evening, Heidi and her chauffeur arrived at Hans' flat. Dressed in a shimmering, dark red floor-length shift, Miss Loder made a majestic entrance. "We are here to collect Mister Hoff for dinner and the theatre," she announced, dramatically. "My driver is waiting!"

With a radiant smile on her face, she asked for a tour of Hans' simple dwelling. He had not planned to show her his sleeping quarters, but she would not be denied. Straight away Heidi's gaze caught the tome on his bedside table, entitled, The Dark Gods.


Parsifal




The restaurant Hans had chosen was a small, intimate Austrian establishment decorated with porcelain beer steins and mountain landscapes. After they were seated for dinner Heidi asked him about his reading material. She was careful and cautious at first.

Hans ordered a pitcher of house ale, reputed to be the best in London. Explaining that he had left the church because Christianity was for the weak, he went on: "Anglo-Saxon and Nordic people have to get back to their roots."

By the time Heidi was on her second glass of beer, all wariness had vanished. "Darwin," she said with enthusiasm, "has destroyed the Christ myth. The world belongs to the fittest."

Hans was almost unaware of the wiener schnitzel he was eating, riveted as he was by what his lady friend was saying. A strange feeling of foreboding welled up inside, sensitising him to the fact that he was suffering acutely from indigestion. By the time they were making ready for the theatre he was in some considerable discomfort.

The effect that 'Parsifal' had on Heidi was truly remarkable. It was as though Wagner was a maestro for the devil himself.

Advertisement



5th June 2007

Great Writing!
This is by far the most interesting travelblog I have read. Keep writing

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb